Sep 29, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins might just take a bad situation – Tomas Vokoun being out with a scary blood clot – and make it about as entertaining as possible. The team is reportedly interested in Ilya Bryzgalov, Lisa Hillary reports.
(It seems prudent to put reportedly in bold in this case because, well, let’s just say that the Penguins-Flyers rivalry brings out the … feisty side in many people.)
Naturally, even if the “interest” is there, the Penguins might pass. They didn’t even bring the 33-year-old in on a professional tryout, so this could be some really surface-level stuff.
Despite the circus that’s likely to follow Bryzgalov, especially if he signs with Pittsburgh, it wouldn’t be a bad idea. While Breezy struggled in Philadelphia, he also put up fantastic numbers in Phoenix. Not bad for a backup who might not even command much of a contract.
Speaking of which, NHL.com’s Adam Kimmelman believes that the Penguins would make room for Bryzgalov by placing Vokoun on the LTIR.
But, let’s be honest; the reason many are excited is for the laughs. Here’s an early one from Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski.
The Fleury/Bryzgalov tandem would be an upgrade over the alternative, which is an empty net with a flashing neon arrow above it.
— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) September 30, 2013
May 3, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Yeah, it was quite a goal from No. 8.
May 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Didn’t waste time getting on the board in Game 2.
May 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
But it doesn’t sound like there will be a dramatic, sudden return.
May 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
“You only have one life, enjoy it.”
May 2, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Without a goal in this post-season.
May 2, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Minnesota almost completed the comeback in Game 1.
May 2, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
“Since the voting period began, we’ve received an astounding 20.4 million votes…”
May 2, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
The Caps were out-shot 15-4 and out-scored 2-0 in the opening 20.
May 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Lundqvist made 30 saves as New York edged Washington 3-2 in Game 2.
May 2, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
The highlight-reel goal pulls the Caps to within one.
May 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
He suffered a lower body injury on Friday.
May 2, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Paperwork filed for environmental study.
May 2, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
One of four first period saves made by the Rangers’ starter.
May 2, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
Opened the scoring 38 seconds in.
May 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Puck drop is at 12:30 p.m. ET on NBC.
May 2, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut in April.
May 2, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
He didn’t play a shift in the third period of Thursday’s loss.
May 2, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
How a conversation in Vegas changed the forward’s game.
May 2, 2015, 1:41 AM EDT
Been through adversity before this season.
May 2, 2015, 12:28 AM EDT
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)