Sep 29, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
It almost seems like Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon was reading various “best remaining free agent articles” with serious envy this summer. Now that the team sale is official, they keep loading up, and TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Ryan Whitney has been added to the mix at one-year, $900K.
The St. Louis Blues took a serious look at Whitney before releasing him from a professional tryout on Friday.
The Panthers have supplemented their roster in a serious way this week, bringing Whitney (assuming this is true), Tim Thomas, Tom Gilbert and Brad Boyes into the mix. All of them came at discounted rates, which seems like a happy accident thanks to the Panthers’ circumstances and a brutal free agent market for UFAs.
Whitney, 30, isn’t exactly known for shutdown defense, but he he has a 59-point season to his name. With Whitney, Brian Campbell, Dmitry Kulikov and Tom Gilbert in the mix, the Panthers should have some strong offensive options from the blueline.
Maybe Florida’s done bolstering its lineup, but if you’re an agent of a guy like Vinny Prospal, you might want to at least give Tallon a call.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 0
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 5
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 14
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 34
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)