Sep 29, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
Red Wings forward Darren Helm‘s struggles with injury will continue into this season.
Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports the speedy center will begin the season on long-term injured reserve thanks to separate groin and back issues. Being on LTIR means being out of action for 24 days or 10 games and GM Ken Holland isn’t sure how soon he’ll be available.
“We believe Helm will be back in three weeks,” he says. Given how slow his progress has been since getting hurt last year, there’s all the reason in the world to be skeptical.
There is a blessing in disguise of sorts for Detroit, however, as they’ve got a glut of forwards and need to get below the salary cap. Helm going on LTIR will eventually help both parts of that equation although he can’t go on LTIR until the season starts.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 2
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)