Sep 29, 2013, 6:19 PM EST
Rick Nash sat out Sunday’s New York Rangers practice with a sore foot, but the team told the Bergen Record that it isn’t serious. A puck hit in the foot during Friday’s preseason loss to the Los Angeles Kings.
Stepan received a chance to shake off a little bit of rust by skating with the team on Sunday, although it’s likely his timing might be off a little here and there after prolonged contract negotiations.
There’s more worth noting than Nash missing practice and Stepan finally getting back into the fold. It looks like Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault is going to experiment with moving Richards to the left wing spot. That’s a situation to watch considering the possibility that this might be a lot like a contract year season for the 33-year-old (since the team could buy him out to make room for free agents such as Henrik Lundqvist and Ryan Callahan).
While Richards struggled, Nash largely justified the hype he received as a star previously buried in Columbus. He struggled in the postseason with just one goal in 12 playoff games, but it’s worth noting that he had terrible puck luck (just one of 42 shots on goal went in).
The Rangers face a harrowing start to the season, so the hope is that Nash is indeed healthy and can mix well with Stepan and Richards.
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 0
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 2
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 6
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 101
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (105)