Sep 29, 2013, 6:19 PM EDT
Rick Nash sat out Sunday’s New York Rangers practice with a sore foot, but the team told the Bergen Record that it isn’t serious. A puck hit in the foot during Friday’s preseason loss to the Los Angeles Kings.
Stepan received a chance to shake off a little bit of rust by skating with the team on Sunday, although it’s likely his timing might be off a little here and there after prolonged contract negotiations.
There’s more worth noting than Nash missing practice and Stepan finally getting back into the fold. It looks like Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault is going to experiment with moving Richards to the left wing spot. That’s a situation to watch considering the possibility that this might be a lot like a contract year season for the 33-year-old (since the team could buy him out to make room for free agents such as Henrik Lundqvist and Ryan Callahan).
While Richards struggled, Nash largely justified the hype he received as a star previously buried in Columbus. He struggled in the postseason with just one goal in 12 playoff games, but it’s worth noting that he had terrible puck luck (just one of 42 shots on goal went in).
The Rangers face a harrowing start to the season, so the hope is that Nash is indeed healthy and can mix well with Stepan and Richards.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)