Sep 29, 2013, 6:19 PM EDT
Rick Nash sat out Sunday’s New York Rangers practice with a sore foot, but the team told the Bergen Record that it isn’t serious. A puck hit in the foot during Friday’s preseason loss to the Los Angeles Kings.
Stepan received a chance to shake off a little bit of rust by skating with the team on Sunday, although it’s likely his timing might be off a little here and there after prolonged contract negotiations.
There’s more worth noting than Nash missing practice and Stepan finally getting back into the fold. It looks like Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault is going to experiment with moving Richards to the left wing spot. That’s a situation to watch considering the possibility that this might be a lot like a contract year season for the 33-year-old (since the team could buy him out to make room for free agents such as Henrik Lundqvist and Ryan Callahan).
While Richards struggled, Nash largely justified the hype he received as a star previously buried in Columbus. He struggled in the postseason with just one goal in 12 playoff games, but it’s worth noting that he had terrible puck luck (just one of 42 shots on goal went in).
The Rangers face a harrowing start to the season, so the hope is that Nash is indeed healthy and can mix well with Stepan and Richards.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 0
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 4
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)