Sep 29, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Sure, there must be some mixed feelings with being traded, but Mathieu Perreault told the OC Register’s Eric Stephens that he wasn’t shocked that the Washington Capitals traded him to the Anaheim Ducks on Sunday.
“I could kind of see it coming,” Perreault said. “I had a good time in Washington. It was fun while it lasted. Now I’m moving on.”
The 25-year-old center expects to practice with the Ducks on Tuesday, so it’s plausible that he might be able to suit up for Anaheim in its season opener on Wednesday.
“It’s kind of a weird situation I’ve never been in. I don’t know if I should be excited going to a new place or sad to leave D.C. It’s a little bit of both,” Perreault said. “I love D.C. This is the team that gave me my first chance. I have a bunch of good friends here but it was time for me to move on. I saw during training camp when they were trying a bunch of different guys in the middle that there wasn’t much room for me.”
He could find a bigger role in Anaheim while Washington clears space for Tom Wilson, so maybe everyone wins? Perreault doesn’t seem too broken up about it, at least.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 0
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 19
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 33
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)