Sep 29, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
The impression defenseman Andrew Ference has already made on the Edmonton Oilers is apparently a big one.
Oilers coach Dallas Eakins, via Twitter, announced Ference as the 14th captain in franchise history.
At 34 years old, Ference is the second-oldest player on the roster (only former captain Ryan Smyth is older) and it’s his veteran status that helps make him a solid choice as team leader. Some thought perhaps it would be Taylor Hall‘s time to don the “C” but that’ll have to wait.
Considering all Ference has already done in the community (charity work, November Project), he’s been doing captain-like things as it is. He was an alternate captain behind Zdeno Chara while with the Boston Bruins.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 6
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)