Sep 29, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
The impression defenseman Andrew Ference has already made on the Edmonton Oilers is apparently a big one.
Oilers coach Dallas Eakins, via Twitter, announced Ference as the 14th captain in franchise history.
At 34 years old, Ference is the second-oldest player on the roster (only former captain Ryan Smyth is older) and it’s his veteran status that helps make him a solid choice as team leader. Some thought perhaps it would be Taylor Hall‘s time to don the “C” but that’ll have to wait.
Considering all Ference has already done in the community (charity work, November Project), he’s been doing captain-like things as it is. He was an alternate captain behind Zdeno Chara while with the Boston Bruins.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)