Oilers name Andrew Ference captain

Sep 29, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

The impression defenseman Andrew Ference has already made on the Edmonton Oilers is apparently a big one.

Oilers coach Dallas Eakins, via Twitter, announced Ference as the 14th captain in franchise history.

At 34 years old, Ference is the second-oldest player on the roster (only former captain Ryan Smyth is older) and it’s his veteran status that helps make him a solid choice as team leader. Some thought perhaps it would be Taylor Hall‘s time to don the “C” but that’ll have to wait.

Considering all Ference has already done in the community (charity work, November Project), he’s been doing captain-like things as it is. He was an alternate captain behind Zdeno Chara while with the Boston Bruins.

1. broadstreetsbaddest88 - Sep 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Well that came outta left field. Definitely did not expect him to be named but it was a really smart move. I thought for sure Eberle or Hall was gettin it. I think it’s better to let the vet be it while them two come into there on. I like the veteran choice over youngsters most times. He can help this team mature and start showing some much needed results for all them high draft picks

2. soj83 - Sep 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I like this a lot, he was a great leader in the community in Boston as well as an emotional leader on the ice (the Bruins did have a few of those though). He will be able to teach some of the younger guys how to be a pro and knows how to keep the room loose when needed. I also really like when a team goes with a leader like this instead of just giving it to the best player on the team. Ference will not be confused with a Norris candidate, but he can play solid top 4 minutes and contribute to the team in many ways that the public and media won’t see.

3. defenz77 - Sep 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Not to hard to spot a leader. WTG, Andrew.

4. mpops86 - Sep 29, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Hm. OK. I mean, he was the alternate captain in a rotation behind Chara and Bergeron, just like Seidenberg, Krejci, Lucic, Campbell, and others. It’s hard for me to think of him as a captain just because he’s not a top-2 blue liner and he’s a natural leader without the C.

Don’t forget, this is a guy who had some confrontations with teammates over his role in Paul Kelly’s dismissal. This isn’t as seamless a fit as it’s being presented by the organization…

• supercoop8 - Sep 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM

He has rotated the ‘A’ with Kelly between home and away games for the past two seasons. None of the players you listed have worn it in that time.

5. canucks30 - Sep 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM

LEADERSHIP:

Yep. Flipping the bird, getting roughed up by Crosby, and elbowing people in the head. That’ll get the Oilers to the playoffs.

• 19to77 - Sep 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Over two full years later and Canucks fans are still instinctively bitter and insecure over anyone in a Bruins jersey. I love it.

• canucks30 - Sep 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Actually, if you paid attention you’d see I congratulated the Bruins for exemplifying what playoff hockey is about after they lost to the Blackhawks. (It’s the post with about 100 thumbs up band 2 down).

Also, I’m a big Patrice Bergeron fan.

It’s just Ference is a moron and a poor choice for Oilers captain.

• canucks30 - Sep 29, 2013 at 5:23 PM

See my comments here:

Yep, real insecure.

FYI I also have the Canucks missing the playoffs this year. I call it like I see it.

• thesportsjudge - Sep 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Where did that player play the kept getting repeatedly hit in the face during the SCF a few years ago, basically waiting for the refs to save his ass? Oh yeah, now I remember, the same town with the auto-mechanic as their starting goaltender.

• canucks30 - Sep 29, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Oh look. A sore winner.

6. malvaren18 - Sep 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Excellent pick they need someone with leadership and he is a proven leader

7. jacketsfan7 - Sep 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Solid choice, great player with solid defense and a great leader

8. brewinflames - Sep 29, 2013 at 2:50 PM

He’s won a stanley cup with the bruins and played top solid minutes on defense, and has been a leader on the ice, in the locker room and community as well. He’s always taken to the younger players as a role model as well.

Good choice to wear the “C” while playing on a team of youngsters.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches