Sep 29, 2013, 12:23 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are figuring out how to cut down their roster, and they’ve made a trade to help that along.
The Leafs sent center Joe Colborne to the Calgary Flames in exchange for a fourth-round pick in the 2014 draft. The pick can be upgraded to a third-round selection if certain conditions are met this season. Flames GM Jay Feaster had glowing words about his new player.
“As an organization we have had many discussions this past year about Joe, but never made an offer,” said Flames General Manager Jay Feaster. “With the opportunity to speak with Brian Burke and learn about Joe’s hockey sense and character from someone who had him as a player and knows him so well, it became clear to us that this is the type of young, big center we need. He fits in very well with our rebuild and provides size up the middle which we believe is critical going forward.”
With the Flames, Colborne will get the opportunity to jump right into things at center as that’s one of their big (many?) weaknesses. It was clear he wasn’t going to make Toronto’s roster and if they put him on waivers they likely would’ve lost him for nothing.
The obvious connection to make here is with new Flames director of hockey operations Brian Burke and Leafs GM Dave Nonis.
It was Burke as GM of the Leafs who acquired Colborne from the Boston Bruins in the Tomas Kaberle deal in 2011. Now he heads to his hometown of Calgary to be part of Burke’s team there as the two former co-workers teamed up to swing the deal.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 0
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 13
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 56
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22