Sep 29, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
Teams are in need of being down to their 23-man roster by tomorrow and that means today is loaded with players on waivers. 37 players to be exact.
Highlighting the list is Toronto defenseman John-Michael Liles. The Maple Leafs are in a cap crunch and would also like to get more of a look at rookie Morgan Rielly. His $3.875 million cap hit on a deal which he’s got three years left on made him a prime candidate to be waived. Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports says the Leafs have spent the past few days trying to trade him but to no avail.
Other notable players on waivers include:
Cory Emmerton - Detroit: The Wings have 17 forwards in camp and are a bit over the salary cap. Waiving Emmerton only addresses the roster total as his cap hit is a paltry $533,000.
If your team feels the need for a tough guy, there’s a few to choose from. New Jersey’s Cam Janssen, Colorado’s Guillaume Desbiens, Washington’s Joel Rechlicz, Anaheim’s Nolan Yonkman, and New York Islanders defenseman Joe Finley are all there for the picking.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 2
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 12
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 53
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)