Sep 29, 2013, 12:48 PM EST
Teams are in need of being down to their 23-man roster by tomorrow and that means today is loaded with players on waivers. 37 players to be exact.
Highlighting the list is Toronto defenseman John-Michael Liles. The Maple Leafs are in a cap crunch and would also like to get more of a look at rookie Morgan Rielly. His $3.875 million cap hit on a deal which he’s got three years left on made him a prime candidate to be waived. Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports says the Leafs have spent the past few days trying to trade him but to no avail.
Other notable players on waivers include:
Cory Emmerton - Detroit: The Wings have 17 forwards in camp and are a bit over the salary cap. Waiving Emmerton only addresses the roster total as his cap hit is a paltry $533,000.
If your team feels the need for a tough guy, there’s a few to choose from. New Jersey’s Cam Janssen, Colorado’s Guillaume Desbiens, Washington’s Joel Rechlicz, Anaheim’s Nolan Yonkman, and New York Islanders defenseman Joe Finley are all there for the picking.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46