Sep 29, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
Teams are in need of being down to their 23-man roster by tomorrow and that means today is loaded with players on waivers. 37 players to be exact.
Highlighting the list is Toronto defenseman John-Michael Liles. The Maple Leafs are in a cap crunch and would also like to get more of a look at rookie Morgan Rielly. His $3.875 million cap hit on a deal which he’s got three years left on made him a prime candidate to be waived. Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports says the Leafs have spent the past few days trying to trade him but to no avail.
Other notable players on waivers include:
Cory Emmerton - Detroit: The Wings have 17 forwards in camp and are a bit over the salary cap. Waiving Emmerton only addresses the roster total as his cap hit is a paltry $533,000.
If your team feels the need for a tough guy, there’s a few to choose from. New Jersey’s Cam Janssen, Colorado’s Guillaume Desbiens, Washington’s Joel Rechlicz, Anaheim’s Nolan Yonkman, and New York Islanders defenseman Joe Finley are all there for the picking.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 16
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)