Sep 29, 2013, 12:49 AM EDT
It won’t go down as a blockbuster, but the Carolina Hurricanes and Vancouver Canucks made a deal.
Carolina sends forwards Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh to Vancouver in exchange for forward Kellen Tochkin and a fourth-round pick in the 2014 draft.
The deal works out to be a way for Carolina to clear some salary. According to CapGeek.com, the Hurricanes had less than $450,000 in cap space. Moving Welsh ($850,000) helps clear his money and Dalpe’s $550,000 hit is a virtual wash with Tochkin’s ($544,722).
For Vancouver, they add more skilled depth at forward if not with the big club then certainly with their AHL squad in Utica.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5