Sep 29, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have faced some tough injury news this summer, and while Sunday presented some more, at least there’s a positive update to go with it.
The bad: Tuomo Ruutu has been placed on the injured reserve, according to the Raleigh News & Observer’s Chip Alexander.
Both Skinner and Ruutu have struggled with health problems in recent seasons, so it’s sadly not a surprise that their names are coming up in injury news.
Skinner, 21, is currently nursing a lower-body injury, which the team just wanted to be smart about. He’s considered day-to-day at the moment, so tomorrow’s practice could be important in that regard.
GM Jim Rutherford emphasizes that Ruutu’s issue isn’t with a hip that plagued him before.
Regardless, it’s clear that the 30-year-old’s rugged style continues to put him at peril. He was limited to 17 games in 2013, missed 10 in 2011-12 and has frequently been sidelined in his up-and-down career. In retrospect, his 82-game (and 57-point) 2010-11 season with Carolina seems like a sad tease.
Maybe Skinner’s progress is a sign that their luck might start turning around, then?
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)