Sep 29, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have faced some tough injury news this summer, and while Sunday presented some more, at least there’s a positive update to go with it.
The bad: Tuomo Ruutu has been placed on the injured reserve, according to the Raleigh News & Observer’s Chip Alexander.
Both Skinner and Ruutu have struggled with health problems in recent seasons, so it’s sadly not a surprise that their names are coming up in injury news.
Skinner, 21, is currently nursing a lower-body injury, which the team just wanted to be smart about. He’s considered day-to-day at the moment, so tomorrow’s practice could be important in that regard.
GM Jim Rutherford emphasizes that Ruutu’s issue isn’t with a hip that plagued him before.
Regardless, it’s clear that the 30-year-old’s rugged style continues to put him at peril. He was limited to 17 games in 2013, missed 10 in 2011-12 and has frequently been sidelined in his up-and-down career. In retrospect, his 82-game (and 57-point) 2010-11 season with Carolina seems like a sad tease.
Maybe Skinner’s progress is a sign that their luck might start turning around, then?
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 0
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)