Sep 29, 2013, 12:06 AM EST
It looks like Michal Handzus will be Chicago’s second line center to start the season.
Much has been made of the competition through training camp for the right to play between Patrick Sharp and Marian Hossa. Handzus was essentially auditioning to keep his job and fending off Chicago’s 2009 third-round pick in Pirri was his final battle. Second-year forward Brandon Saad was in the running early on before he was moved back to wing.
The demotions put Chicago’s roster at 24 players and one more cut to make. Expect a defenseman, either Ryan Stanton or Mike Kostka, to be the last to go. Chicago opens the season on Tuesday night at home against Washington at 8 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)