Sep 29, 2013, 12:06 AM EDT
It looks like Michal Handzus will be Chicago’s second line center to start the season.
Much has been made of the competition through training camp for the right to play between Patrick Sharp and Marian Hossa. Handzus was essentially auditioning to keep his job and fending off Chicago’s 2009 third-round pick in Pirri was his final battle. Second-year forward Brandon Saad was in the running early on before he was moved back to wing.
The demotions put Chicago’s roster at 24 players and one more cut to make. Expect a defenseman, either Ryan Stanton or Mike Kostka, to be the last to go. Chicago opens the season on Tuesday night at home against Washington at 8 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25