Sep 28, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
After spending time with the team on professional tryouts, both Brad Boyes and Tom Gilbert impressed the Florida Panthers enough to earn one-year deals. The team announced that via Twitter with side-by-side photos of the forward and defenseman signing their respective contracts:
Boyes, 31, signed for $1 million, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. Some believe that Gilbert, 30, agreed for the same amount, but that’s just a rumor at this point.
Agents and the NHLPA might not be thrilled by this development, but while some teams have used PTOs likely, the Panthers have improved their forward group (Boyes), defense (Gilbert) and goaltending (Tim Thomas) through the process.
All three players have a very real chance of making Florida a friskier team, too.
Boyes scored 43 and 33 goals in back-to-back seasons with the St. Louis Blues (2007-08/08-09) and also had 26 tallies with the Boston Bruins in 2005-06. Gilbert has one 45-point season and two other 30+ point seasons on his resume and has logged big minutes in his career. We all know what Thomas has done in his career.
Maybe this doesn’t make Florida a playoff team, but it certainly makes them seem more credible.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)