Sep 28, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
After spending time with the team on professional tryouts, both Brad Boyes and Tom Gilbert impressed the Florida Panthers enough to earn one-year deals. The team announced that via Twitter with side-by-side photos of the forward and defenseman signing their respective contracts:
Boyes, 31, signed for $1 million, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. Some believe that Gilbert, 30, agreed for the same amount, but that’s just a rumor at this point.
Agents and the NHLPA might not be thrilled by this development, but while some teams have used PTOs likely, the Panthers have improved their forward group (Boyes), defense (Gilbert) and goaltending (Tim Thomas) through the process.
All three players have a very real chance of making Florida a friskier team, too.
Boyes scored 43 and 33 goals in back-to-back seasons with the St. Louis Blues (2007-08/08-09) and also had 26 tallies with the Boston Bruins in 2005-06. Gilbert has one 45-point season and two other 30+ point seasons on his resume and has logged big minutes in his career. We all know what Thomas has done in his career.
Maybe this doesn’t make Florida a playoff team, but it certainly makes them seem more credible.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 45
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)