Sep 28, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
After spending time with the team on professional tryouts, both Brad Boyes and Tom Gilbert impressed the Florida Panthers enough to earn one-year deals. The team announced that via Twitter with side-by-side photos of the forward and defenseman signing their respective contracts:
Boyes, 31, signed for $1 million, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. Some believe that Gilbert, 30, agreed for the same amount, but that’s just a rumor at this point.
Agents and the NHLPA might not be thrilled by this development, but while some teams have used PTOs likely, the Panthers have improved their forward group (Boyes), defense (Gilbert) and goaltending (Tim Thomas) through the process.
All three players have a very real chance of making Florida a friskier team, too.
Boyes scored 43 and 33 goals in back-to-back seasons with the St. Louis Blues (2007-08/08-09) and also had 26 tallies with the Boston Bruins in 2005-06. Gilbert has one 45-point season and two other 30+ point seasons on his resume and has logged big minutes in his career. We all know what Thomas has done in his career.
Maybe this doesn’t make Florida a playoff team, but it certainly makes them seem more credible.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)