Sep 28, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
After spending time with the team on professional tryouts, both Brad Boyes and Tom Gilbert impressed the Florida Panthers enough to earn one-year deals. The team announced that via Twitter with side-by-side photos of the forward and defenseman signing their respective contracts:
Boyes, 31, signed for $1 million, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. Some believe that Gilbert, 30, agreed for the same amount, but that’s just a rumor at this point.
Agents and the NHLPA might not be thrilled by this development, but while some teams have used PTOs likely, the Panthers have improved their forward group (Boyes), defense (Gilbert) and goaltending (Tim Thomas) through the process.
All three players have a very real chance of making Florida a friskier team, too.
Boyes scored 43 and 33 goals in back-to-back seasons with the St. Louis Blues (2007-08/08-09) and also had 26 tallies with the Boston Bruins in 2005-06. Gilbert has one 45-point season and two other 30+ point seasons on his resume and has logged big minutes in his career. We all know what Thomas has done in his career.
Maybe this doesn’t make Florida a playoff team, but it certainly makes them seem more credible.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)