Sep 28, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
After spending time with the team on professional tryouts, both Brad Boyes and Tom Gilbert impressed the Florida Panthers enough to earn one-year deals. The team announced that via Twitter with side-by-side photos of the forward and defenseman signing their respective contracts:
Boyes, 31, signed for $1 million, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. Some believe that Gilbert, 30, agreed for the same amount, but that’s just a rumor at this point.
Agents and the NHLPA might not be thrilled by this development, but while some teams have used PTOs likely, the Panthers have improved their forward group (Boyes), defense (Gilbert) and goaltending (Tim Thomas) through the process.
All three players have a very real chance of making Florida a friskier team, too.
Boyes scored 43 and 33 goals in back-to-back seasons with the St. Louis Blues (2007-08/08-09) and also had 26 tallies with the Boston Bruins in 2005-06. Gilbert has one 45-point season and two other 30+ point seasons on his resume and has logged big minutes in his career. We all know what Thomas has done in his career.
Maybe this doesn’t make Florida a playoff team, but it certainly makes them seem more credible.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 8
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 71
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 24
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)