Sep 28, 2013, 1:21 PM EST
Ottawa Senators coach Paul MacLean implies that Jason Spezza would probably be playing Saturday night if it was a regular season game. Instead, the team is opting to let him heal up a minor groin injury, the Ottawa Citizen reports.
“Jason Spezza has a minor groin injury that we are managing to get him to Oct. 4 so he can play,” MacLean said. “We’re just making sure he’s ready to play the opener, which is more important than an exhibition game.”
The 30-year-old playmaker underwent back surgery this summer, so it’s a relief to hear that his issue is groin-related rather than a recurring back problem.
Injuries limited Spezza to five regular season games and three postseason contests in 2013 after he had a strong rebound year in 2011-12 (34 goals, 84 points in 80 games played).
If health permits for both Spezza and Milan Michalek, the Senators could have the option to put together one of the league’s most dangerous scoring lines with Bobby Ryan in the fold. (They haven’t committed one way or another yet.)
Whether MacLean decides to concentrate his power or spread the wealth, it’s obvious the team wants to see its captain as healthy as possible.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)