Sep 28, 2013, 1:21 PM EST
Ottawa Senators coach Paul MacLean implies that Jason Spezza would probably be playing Saturday night if it was a regular season game. Instead, the team is opting to let him heal up a minor groin injury, the Ottawa Citizen reports.
“Jason Spezza has a minor groin injury that we are managing to get him to Oct. 4 so he can play,” MacLean said. “We’re just making sure he’s ready to play the opener, which is more important than an exhibition game.”
The 30-year-old playmaker underwent back surgery this summer, so it’s a relief to hear that his issue is groin-related rather than a recurring back problem.
Injuries limited Spezza to five regular season games and three postseason contests in 2013 after he had a strong rebound year in 2011-12 (34 goals, 84 points in 80 games played).
If health permits for both Spezza and Milan Michalek, the Senators could have the option to put together one of the league’s most dangerous scoring lines with Bobby Ryan in the fold. (They haven’t committed one way or another yet.)
Whether MacLean decides to concentrate his power or spread the wealth, it’s obvious the team wants to see its captain as healthy as possible.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)