Sep 28, 2013, 9:22 AM EDT
As one of the smallest forwards you’ll see on the ice, it’s hard to imagine Ottawa Senators winger Cory Conacher being a shutdown or two-way player. He seems aware that head coach Paul MacLean would prefer to see a more all-around game, however, as he told the Ottawa Citizen on Friday.
“I’m looking to be more reliable on the ice this year,” Conacher said. “Defence is a big part of this game. And it’s a big part of winning, as well. I’ve got to focus on that first. And if I am playing with Turris and MacArthur, or whoever it is, the offence will come as long as you play good defensively. It’s about being comfortable and well positioned in the defensive zone.”
The 23-year-old has enjoyed a successful preseason, and while he passes it off as receiving “some good bounces,” he also realizes that he needs to go above and beyond to overcome questions about his size (he’s listed at five-foot-eight, 179 lbs.).
” … As a small guy, definitely, you always need to have your head on a swivel and be the hardest-working guy on the ice,” Conacher said. “I’ve tried to do that my whole career. I’ve never been the best player on my team. I’ve just tried to work harder than the guy beside me.”
Ottawa likely hopes he can keep up that hard work – and impressive results – in the next season and beyond.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)