Sep 28, 2013, 9:22 AM EDT
As one of the smallest forwards you’ll see on the ice, it’s hard to imagine Ottawa Senators winger Cory Conacher being a shutdown or two-way player. He seems aware that head coach Paul MacLean would prefer to see a more all-around game, however, as he told the Ottawa Citizen on Friday.
“I’m looking to be more reliable on the ice this year,” Conacher said. “Defence is a big part of this game. And it’s a big part of winning, as well. I’ve got to focus on that first. And if I am playing with Turris and MacArthur, or whoever it is, the offence will come as long as you play good defensively. It’s about being comfortable and well positioned in the defensive zone.”
The 23-year-old has enjoyed a successful preseason, and while he passes it off as receiving “some good bounces,” he also realizes that he needs to go above and beyond to overcome questions about his size (he’s listed at five-foot-eight, 179 lbs.).
” … As a small guy, definitely, you always need to have your head on a swivel and be the hardest-working guy on the ice,” Conacher said. “I’ve tried to do that my whole career. I’ve never been the best player on my team. I’ve just tried to work harder than the guy beside me.”
Ottawa likely hopes he can keep up that hard work – and impressive results – in the next season and beyond.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)