Sep 28, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
Two of the Columbus Blue Jackets’ hottest prospects – defenseman Ryan Murray (pictured) and forward Boone Jenner – survived the team’s cuts. That means they’ll start the regular season with Columbus, but head coach Todd Richards told the team Web site that “nothing is guaranteed going forward.”
Each can be sent back to the AHL if they can’t keep up their pace from the preseason.
“Based on what they were able to do and how they were able to play as a group, I would be foolish to try and experiment with (Jenner) now somewhere else,” Richards said. “I think they’ve worked so well together.”
That’s not to take anything away from Murray, who’s also 20. The New York Islanders offered their entire 2012 NHL Draft (including the fourth pick) to the Blue Jackets to select him with the second pick and Columbus fired the Isles down. Beyond the inherent interest of being the second-highest selection of a draft, that added wrinkle should always make Murray worth monitoring.
We’ll also have to wait and see if Columbus determines that the hockey world will get to witness them play more than nine regular season NHL games.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)