Sep 28, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
Two of the Columbus Blue Jackets’ hottest prospects – defenseman Ryan Murray (pictured) and forward Boone Jenner – survived the team’s cuts. That means they’ll start the regular season with Columbus, but head coach Todd Richards told the team Web site that “nothing is guaranteed going forward.”
Each can be sent back to the AHL if they can’t keep up their pace from the preseason.
“Based on what they were able to do and how they were able to play as a group, I would be foolish to try and experiment with (Jenner) now somewhere else,” Richards said. “I think they’ve worked so well together.”
That’s not to take anything away from Murray, who’s also 20. The New York Islanders offered their entire 2012 NHL Draft (including the fourth pick) to the Blue Jackets to select him with the second pick and Columbus fired the Isles down. Beyond the inherent interest of being the second-highest selection of a draft, that added wrinkle should always make Murray worth monitoring.
We’ll also have to wait and see if Columbus determines that the hockey world will get to witness them play more than nine regular season NHL games.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)