Sep 28, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
Two of the Columbus Blue Jackets’ hottest prospects – defenseman Ryan Murray (pictured) and forward Boone Jenner – survived the team’s cuts. That means they’ll start the regular season with Columbus, but head coach Todd Richards told the team Web site that “nothing is guaranteed going forward.”
Each can be sent back to the AHL if they can’t keep up their pace from the preseason.
“Based on what they were able to do and how they were able to play as a group, I would be foolish to try and experiment with (Jenner) now somewhere else,” Richards said. “I think they’ve worked so well together.”
That’s not to take anything away from Murray, who’s also 20. The New York Islanders offered their entire 2012 NHL Draft (including the fourth pick) to the Blue Jackets to select him with the second pick and Columbus fired the Isles down. Beyond the inherent interest of being the second-highest selection of a draft, that added wrinkle should always make Murray worth monitoring.
We’ll also have to wait and see if Columbus determines that the hockey world will get to witness them play more than nine regular season NHL games.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)