Sep 28, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
Two of the Columbus Blue Jackets’ hottest prospects – defenseman Ryan Murray (pictured) and forward Boone Jenner – survived the team’s cuts. That means they’ll start the regular season with Columbus, but head coach Todd Richards told the team Web site that “nothing is guaranteed going forward.”
Each can be sent back to the AHL if they can’t keep up their pace from the preseason.
“Based on what they were able to do and how they were able to play as a group, I would be foolish to try and experiment with (Jenner) now somewhere else,” Richards said. “I think they’ve worked so well together.”
That’s not to take anything away from Murray, who’s also 20. The New York Islanders offered their entire 2012 NHL Draft (including the fourth pick) to the Blue Jackets to select him with the second pick and Columbus fired the Isles down. Beyond the inherent interest of being the second-highest selection of a draft, that added wrinkle should always make Murray worth monitoring.
We’ll also have to wait and see if Columbus determines that the hockey world will get to witness them play more than nine regular season NHL games.
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 45
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 31
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 60
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)