Sep 28, 2013, 9:53 AM EST
League discipline rep Brendan Shanahan posted an explanation for the lack of supplementary discipline on Twitter, asserting that Grabovski put himself in a vulnerable position while Rinaldo “stayed low” with his elbow. Shanahan also believes that Rinaldo, 23, didn’t charge Grabovski, 29.
Shanahan posted a screenshot to clarify his explanation:
Here’s video of the hit for your own perusal, though:
Grabovski told CSNWashington.com last night that he wasn’t happy with the check, but at least he seems OK.
“Chara? No, not Chara,” Grabovski said. “Not a smart play. It wasn’t the first time. I remember what he do. It was a pretty hard hit but I’m OK right now and ready to play next game.”
Overall, the Capitals might not be pleased with how this turned out, but the bright side is that it seems like their newly minted second-line center should make it to the season-opener in one piece.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 10
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 36
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)