Sep 28, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
Toronto Maple Leafs defensive prospect Jake Gardiner experienced quite the roller coaster last season, but it sounds like he’s lost much of the ground with what head coach Randy Carlyle views as a mediocre training camp.
When asked if Gardiner, 23, is where he was level of play wise during the 2013 playoffs, Carlyle simply told TSN’s Mark Masters “no, no he’s not.” He didn’t seem too optimistic about Gardiner “evolving” enough to regain ground, noting that there aren’t many days of camp left.
Could we see another saga like #FreeGardiner from 2013?
To review, the phenomenon grew large enough to force a response from Toronto Marlies coach Dallas Eakins in mid-March, but later that month Carlyle demanded improved defense from the blueliner. That seemed to happen during the playoffs, too, as Carlyle said that Gardiner “elevated his game.”
Perhaps the Leafs believe that he cannot maintain that level of play over the long haul?
Overall, it seems like it’s shaping up to be another interesting storyline to follow with the rarely boring Leafs.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 2
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)