Sep 28, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs defensive prospect Jake Gardiner experienced quite the roller coaster last season, but it sounds like he’s lost much of the ground with what head coach Randy Carlyle views as a mediocre training camp.
When asked if Gardiner, 23, is where he was level of play wise during the 2013 playoffs, Carlyle simply told TSN’s Mark Masters “no, no he’s not.” He didn’t seem too optimistic about Gardiner “evolving” enough to regain ground, noting that there aren’t many days of camp left.
Could we see another saga like #FreeGardiner from 2013?
To review, the phenomenon grew large enough to force a response from Toronto Marlies coach Dallas Eakins in mid-March, but later that month Carlyle demanded improved defense from the blueliner. That seemed to happen during the playoffs, too, as Carlyle said that Gardiner “elevated his game.”
Perhaps the Leafs believe that he cannot maintain that level of play over the long haul?
Overall, it seems like it’s shaping up to be another interesting storyline to follow with the rarely boring Leafs.
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 34
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 153
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 49
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 57
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 50
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Ovechkin ‘upset’ at Grabovski departure, happy with defensive signings 18
- Washington Capitals were free agency’s biggest spenders 15
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (158)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (58)