Sep 28, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs defensive prospect Jake Gardiner experienced quite the roller coaster last season, but it sounds like he’s lost much of the ground with what head coach Randy Carlyle views as a mediocre training camp.
When asked if Gardiner, 23, is where he was level of play wise during the 2013 playoffs, Carlyle simply told TSN’s Mark Masters “no, no he’s not.” He didn’t seem too optimistic about Gardiner “evolving” enough to regain ground, noting that there aren’t many days of camp left.
Could we see another saga like #FreeGardiner from 2013?
To review, the phenomenon grew large enough to force a response from Toronto Marlies coach Dallas Eakins in mid-March, but later that month Carlyle demanded improved defense from the blueliner. That seemed to happen during the playoffs, too, as Carlyle said that Gardiner “elevated his game.”
Perhaps the Leafs believe that he cannot maintain that level of play over the long haul?
Overall, it seems like it’s shaping up to be another interesting storyline to follow with the rarely boring Leafs.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)