Sep 28, 2013, 9:57 PM EDT
Brooks Laich wants to be in the Capitals opening night lineup, it’s just a question of whether his hip will let it happen.
Thanks to a hip flexor problem, Laich has missed plenty of time during Washington’s training camp. As coach Adam Oates tells Katie Carrera of The Washington Post, he’s hoping he can play against Chicago on Tuesday.
“No decision [for Saturday],” Oates said. “One skate, I don’t know. I think Tuesday makes more sense but we’ll see.”
Laich is key to the Capitals’ success and whether he’s playing center or on Mikhail Grabovski‘s left wing, he provides a strong defensive presence as well as some goal scoring abilities. They’ve gone without Laich before in the past, but that’s not an optimal situation for them.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)