Sep 28, 2013, 9:57 PM EST
Brooks Laich wants to be in the Capitals opening night lineup, it’s just a question of whether his hip will let it happen.
Thanks to a hip flexor problem, Laich has missed plenty of time during Washington’s training camp. As coach Adam Oates tells Katie Carrera of The Washington Post, he’s hoping he can play against Chicago on Tuesday.
“No decision [for Saturday],” Oates said. “One skate, I don’t know. I think Tuesday makes more sense but we’ll see.”
Laich is key to the Capitals’ success and whether he’s playing center or on Mikhail Grabovski‘s left wing, he provides a strong defensive presence as well as some goal scoring abilities. They’ve gone without Laich before in the past, but that’s not an optimal situation for them.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2