Sep 28, 2013, 12:39 PM EST
Phoenix Coyotes enforcer Paul Bissonnete will get his chance to appeal an automatic 10-game suspension with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman on Sunday afternoon, Fox Sports Arizona reports.*
To review, “BizNasty” received that suspension for leaving the bench to start a fight during a preseason game against the Los Angeles Kings in reaction to a hit teammate Rostislav Klesla received from Jordan Nolan. (To some controversy, Nolan didn’t receive a fine or suspension for the check.)
It’s unclear how, exactly, the 28-year-old hopes to get out from under the punishment. Fox Sports Arizona delved into the possibilities a bit:
It’s unclear on what grounds Bissonnette and his agent, Mark Guy will appeal. Guy did not return e-mails, but NHL spokesperson John Dellapina said last week that “one of the points of the illegal-line-change rule is to prohibit teams from creating an artificial manpower advantage during an altercation. That’s why it doesn’t matter how aggressive Bissonnette was upon arriving at the scrum — simply by being there he creates an odd-man situation that could free up a teammate to do damage.”
Maybe they’re merely trying to waste Bettman’s time?
* – The report says it will happen at “noon” but doesn’t clarify if that’s ET or not.
Jan 30, 2015, 5:16 PM EST
“We would be thrilled to have them play at our venue.”
Jan 30, 2015, 4:24 PM EST
Ville Pokka is a fun name.
Jan 30, 2015, 3:57 PM EST
Spent last season in Buffalo.
Jan 30, 2015, 3:37 PM EST
Oklahoma City and Worcester do not.
Jan 30, 2015, 3:26 PM EST
Key Western Conference tilt tonight at Honda.
Jan 30, 2015, 2:48 PM EST
Not that that’s likely. Just…possible.
Jan 30, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Jan 30, 2015, 1:01 PM EST
Xavier Ouellet sticking around?
Jan 30, 2015, 12:52 PM EST
Pittsburgh d-man won’t play tonight against New Jersey.
Jan 30, 2015, 12:39 PM EST
They play in Vancouver tonight.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:42 AM EST
Ducks and Rangers have been hot.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:37 AM EST
Just one day after Artem Anisimov drew back into the lineup.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:21 AM EST
St. Louis’ forward depth about to be tested.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:06 AM EST
Rangers d-man has struggled to get games recently.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:33 AM EST
74-year-old was the first player to ever have his jersey retired by the organization.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:19 AM EST
Will he make his NHL debut?
Jan 30, 2015, 9:56 AM EST
There’s lots of interest in him, but teams that see him as a rental might balk at that price.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:02 AM EST
Both are out Friday.
Jan 30, 2015, 8:04 AM EST
Friday’s collection of links.
Jan 30, 2015, 12:17 AM EST
Head coach Mike Yeo said he earned that goose egg, too.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 55
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12