Sep 28, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Depth hasn’t always been the greatest strength for the Washington Capitals, yet it seems plausible that they might enjoy a multitude of options at forward this season. Still, that might come down to making the right decisions regarding their bottom-six forwards, as NHL.com discussed on Friday.
More specifically, it appears that eight different forwards are competing for six spots:
NHL.com points out that the Capitals are experimenting with different options in this situation, including trying Fehr and Erat at center. Fehr, 28, has had some experience at the pivot spot with Washington but Erat, 32, hasn’t played in the middle very often. Still, Erat’s two-way ability makes it an appealing thing to ponder.
“[Oates] thinks that’s a real good spot for him and I would agree with that,” Capitals GM George McPhee said. “He’s a real clever player as well, real responsible defensively, and might be a real good fit at center ice. I think we know what he is. We didn’t get to see enough last year, but we might actually get more out of him playing him at center.”
Most NHL teams have figured out their lineups at this point, yet the Capitals might still be weighing their options as the weekend goes along. For those who believe the team’s window is closing, these decisions could be pretty significant.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)