Sep 28, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Depth hasn’t always been the greatest strength for the Washington Capitals, yet it seems plausible that they might enjoy a multitude of options at forward this season. Still, that might come down to making the right decisions regarding their bottom-six forwards, as NHL.com discussed on Friday.
More specifically, it appears that eight different forwards are competing for six spots:
NHL.com points out that the Capitals are experimenting with different options in this situation, including trying Fehr and Erat at center. Fehr, 28, has had some experience at the pivot spot with Washington but Erat, 32, hasn’t played in the middle very often. Still, Erat’s two-way ability makes it an appealing thing to ponder.
“[Oates] thinks that’s a real good spot for him and I would agree with that,” Capitals GM George McPhee said. “He’s a real clever player as well, real responsible defensively, and might be a real good fit at center ice. I think we know what he is. We didn’t get to see enough last year, but we might actually get more out of him playing him at center.”
Most NHL teams have figured out their lineups at this point, yet the Capitals might still be weighing their options as the weekend goes along. For those who believe the team’s window is closing, these decisions could be pretty significant.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)