Sep 27, 2013, 10:02 AM EST
Forward Jason Zucker, 21, hasn’t secured his roster spot with the Wild yet and he didn’t do himself any favors during Minnesota’s 3-1 victory over St. Louis on Wednesday.
“He’s got to get more engaged,” Wild coach Mike Yeo told the Star Tribune.
More specifically, Yeo didn’t like seeing a player with Zucker’s speed losing races to the puck. In the end, he didn’t make a difference in that game.
That’s in contrast to 21-year-old forward Mikael Granlund, who was sidelined on Wednesday, but took part in Thursday’s practice and impressed the bench boss.
Granlund and Zucker both have a lot of promise, but the Wild might opt to start the campaign with only one of them. If that’s the case, then right now that looks like bad news for Zucker.
“I’ve got nobody to blame but myself,” Zucker said.
Still, the Wild have one final preseason game tonight. One last chance for their young players to prove they deserve to stick with the squad.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 82
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)