Sep 27, 2013, 10:02 AM EST
Forward Jason Zucker, 21, hasn’t secured his roster spot with the Wild yet and he didn’t do himself any favors during Minnesota’s 3-1 victory over St. Louis on Wednesday.
“He’s got to get more engaged,” Wild coach Mike Yeo told the Star Tribune.
More specifically, Yeo didn’t like seeing a player with Zucker’s speed losing races to the puck. In the end, he didn’t make a difference in that game.
That’s in contrast to 21-year-old forward Mikael Granlund, who was sidelined on Wednesday, but took part in Thursday’s practice and impressed the bench boss.
Granlund and Zucker both have a lot of promise, but the Wild might opt to start the campaign with only one of them. If that’s the case, then right now that looks like bad news for Zucker.
“I’ve got nobody to blame but myself,” Zucker said.
Still, the Wild have one final preseason game tonight. One last chance for their young players to prove they deserve to stick with the squad.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 150
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (150)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)