Vokoun says he nearly died because of blood clot issue

Sep 27, 2013, 12:01 PM EST

Tomas Vokoun AP

Tomas Vokoun‘s absence in Pittsburgh due to a blood clot issue almost became headline news for the worst reasons.

The Penguins goaltender tells Karel Knap of iDNES.cz (via Roman Jedlicka) his life was in serious danger thanks to his blood clot ailment. Translated quotes courtesy of Jedlicka.

“I was lucky I was sent to hospital so quickly. I nearly died during weekend,” Vokoun said. “My foot was swollen, I had blood clots from mid-thigh almost to the heart. I was thinking about the end of my career. It would not be so difficult decision. Now I will do what doctors say. Health is clearly the main thing. I hope I have more than half of life ahead of me.“

It’s not the first time Vokoun has had blood clot problems in his career as he also had an instance come up while with the Nashville Predators in 2006. This time around, however, it sounds like things were a bit more daunting.

The Penguins have no timetable for when Vokoun might return. AHL veteran Jeff Zatkoff is taking his place as Marc-Andre Fleury‘s backup for the time being.

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Byfuglien leaves game with upper-body injury

Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST

Dustin Byfuglien Getty

Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.

2. Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley

Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST

MartinDaley

Also, for causing “significant injury.”

3. NHL GMs to address emergency goalie rule following Florida incident

Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST

Roberto Luongo, Al Montoya Getty Images

“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”

4. Julien talks up Bergeron as next Bruins captain

Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST

patricebergerongetty Getty Images

“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”

5. Get your game notes: Rangers at Wings, Rivalry Night

Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptyzogi1mdrmnjbmndc0odgwmzmyyzm5mmi3zdzjodlj AP

An Original Six matchup at the Joe.

6. Season over? Clarkson out 4-6 weeks with torn oblique muscle

Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST

New Jersey Devils v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.

7. TVR to play this weekend for Rockford (AHL)

Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST

Trevor van Riemsdyk Getty Images

‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.

8. Wings clear Zetterberg (upper body) to face Rangers

Mar 4, 2015, 2:04 PM EST

Detroit Red Wings v Florida Panthers Getty Images

Detroit captain draws in for the first time in four games.

9. Boyle, Tanguay to play in 1,000th NHL games tonight

Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EST

Colorado Avalanche v New York Rangers Getty Images

Boyle and the Rangers take on Detroit (on NBCSN), Tanguay and the Avs will play Pittsburgh.

10. Anyone notice the Preds are slumping?

Mar 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EST

Nashville Predators v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Just two wins in their last eight.

11. Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit

Mar 4, 2015, 11:56 AM EST

Trevor Daley, Matt Martin Trevor Daley, Matt Martin

Incident occurred Tuesday night, on Stars defenseman Trevor Daley.

12. After ‘nightmare’ start for Markstrom, Canucks face goaltending conundrum

Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 AM EST

Jacob Markstrom AP

“Not the start I wanted or the team wanted, and I’ve got to be better than that.”

Reactions from NHL trade deadline