Sep 27, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
New York City businessman Vincent Viola is now the proud owner of the Florida Panthers, but had you predicted that to him two months ago, he might not have believed you.
“I had this intuition about the Panthers and I was starting to watch the team at the end of last year and I had this intuition about hockey,” Viola told the Panthers’ website. “It was really by intuition that it happened.”
That led to a lunch meeting with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and the rest is history.
Obviously, Viola wants to win, but it sounds like the long-time hockey fan also plans to play an active role in shaping the team. Before the Panthers inked Tim Thomas to a one-year deal, he spent the day with the 39-year-old goaltender to determine if he’s someone that Viola wanted as part of his franchise.
“The impact that he had was very relevant on the ice as far as our personnel and I expect to have the same thing as we move forward,” Panthers coach Kevin Dineen said of Viola.
The Panthers franchise doesn’t have a lot to be proud of in terms of on-ice accomplishments. However, they currently have promising young players that could be the cornerstones of their team. It might not be too long before Viola is the owner of a serious contender.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)