Sep 27, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
New York City businessman Vincent Viola is now the proud owner of the Florida Panthers, but had you predicted that to him two months ago, he might not have believed you.
“I had this intuition about the Panthers and I was starting to watch the team at the end of last year and I had this intuition about hockey,” Viola told the Panthers’ website. “It was really by intuition that it happened.”
That led to a lunch meeting with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and the rest is history.
Obviously, Viola wants to win, but it sounds like the long-time hockey fan also plans to play an active role in shaping the team. Before the Panthers inked Tim Thomas to a one-year deal, he spent the day with the 39-year-old goaltender to determine if he’s someone that Viola wanted as part of his franchise.
“The impact that he had was very relevant on the ice as far as our personnel and I expect to have the same thing as we move forward,” Panthers coach Kevin Dineen said of Viola.
The Panthers franchise doesn’t have a lot to be proud of in terms of on-ice accomplishments. However, they currently have promising young players that could be the cornerstones of their team. It might not be too long before Viola is the owner of a serious contender.
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 2
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 66
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)