Sep 27, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
New York City businessman Vincent Viola is now the proud owner of the Florida Panthers, but had you predicted that to him two months ago, he might not have believed you.
“I had this intuition about the Panthers and I was starting to watch the team at the end of last year and I had this intuition about hockey,” Viola told the Panthers’ website. “It was really by intuition that it happened.”
That led to a lunch meeting with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and the rest is history.
Obviously, Viola wants to win, but it sounds like the long-time hockey fan also plans to play an active role in shaping the team. Before the Panthers inked Tim Thomas to a one-year deal, he spent the day with the 39-year-old goaltender to determine if he’s someone that Viola wanted as part of his franchise.
“The impact that he had was very relevant on the ice as far as our personnel and I expect to have the same thing as we move forward,” Panthers coach Kevin Dineen said of Viola.
The Panthers franchise doesn’t have a lot to be proud of in terms of on-ice accomplishments. However, they currently have promising young players that could be the cornerstones of their team. It might not be too long before Viola is the owner of a serious contender.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)