Sep 27, 2013, 12:41 AM EDT
Visiting his former team in Vancouver might have been special for New York Rangers coach Alain Vigneault, but Thursday’s preseason game probably didn’t generate the same warm and fuzzy feelings (aside from the video tribute).
Henrik Lunqvist probably feels worse than his coach as the Swede allowed five goals on just 17 shots in two periods of play while Roberto Luongo looked awfully strong in that Canucks uniform, pitching a 40-save shutout.
Ultimately, this game will be forgotten pretty quickly, especially since these teams will meet in two regular season games. Still, Tortorella probably didn’t mind handing it to the team that fired him this past summer.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 20
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 47
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39