Sep 27, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
There was injury news to come from the Buffalo Sabres, after they were shut out by the Carolina Hurricanes in exhibition play Friday.
Nikita Zadorov, the Sabres’ first-round pick, 16th overall, in this year’s NHL Draft, suffered a hand injury blocking a shot, as per the Sabres official Twitter account following the game, and will be re-evaluated.
The Sabres appear very high on Zadorov and that goes beyond just his draft status. By all accounts, he has enjoyed a strong training camp and pre-season with Buffalo.
Two days ago, the Sabres signed Zadorov – the towering six-foot-five-inch Russian defenseman, to an entry-level contract.
The Sabres did also have the option of sending Zadorov back to the London Knights in the Ontario Hockey League so as not to use up the first year of his contract.
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 0
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 6
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)