Sep 27, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
There was injury news to come from the Buffalo Sabres, after they were shut out by the Carolina Hurricanes in exhibition play Friday.
Nikita Zadorov, the Sabres’ first-round pick, 16th overall, in this year’s NHL Draft, suffered a hand injury blocking a shot, as per the Sabres official Twitter account following the game, and will be re-evaluated.
The Sabres appear very high on Zadorov and that goes beyond just his draft status. By all accounts, he has enjoyed a strong training camp and pre-season with Buffalo.
Two days ago, the Sabres signed Zadorov – the towering six-foot-five-inch Russian defenseman, to an entry-level contract.
The Sabres did also have the option of sending Zadorov back to the London Knights in the Ontario Hockey League so as not to use up the first year of his contract.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 1
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 46
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (46)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)