Sep 27, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings forward Stephen Weiss left tonight’s pre-season game against the Toronto Maple Leafs, although it does not appear for anything serious.
Weiss exited the game in the second period with a sore groin, according to TSN’s SportsCentre.
According to Ansar Khan of MLive.com, it was just as a precaution, and that Weiss was “100 per cent sure” he’ll be ready for Detroit’s season and home opener on Oct. 2 against the Buffalo Sabres.
Weiss signed a five-year deal worth $24.5 million with the Red Wings this summer as an unrestricted free agent.
With that type of contract, he’s under considerable pressure to perform.
“Told him if he wasn’t ultra-competitive he couldn’t come here,” Wings head coach Mike Babcock said earlier this month.
“If he didn’t bring it every day he couldn’t come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn’t, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.”
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)