Sep 27, 2013, 11:25 PM EST
Detroit Red Wings forward Stephen Weiss left tonight’s pre-season game against the Toronto Maple Leafs, although it does not appear for anything serious.
Weiss exited the game in the second period with a sore groin, according to TSN’s SportsCentre.
According to Ansar Khan of MLive.com, it was just as a precaution, and that Weiss was “100 per cent sure” he’ll be ready for Detroit’s season and home opener on Oct. 2 against the Buffalo Sabres.
Weiss signed a five-year deal worth $24.5 million with the Red Wings this summer as an unrestricted free agent.
With that type of contract, he’s under considerable pressure to perform.
“Told him if he wasn’t ultra-competitive he couldn’t come here,” Wings head coach Mike Babcock said earlier this month.
“If he didn’t bring it every day he couldn’t come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn’t, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.”
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)