Sep 27, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings forward Stephen Weiss left tonight’s pre-season game against the Toronto Maple Leafs, although it does not appear for anything serious.
Weiss exited the game in the second period with a sore groin, according to TSN’s SportsCentre.
According to Ansar Khan of MLive.com, it was just as a precaution, and that Weiss was “100 per cent sure” he’ll be ready for Detroit’s season and home opener on Oct. 2 against the Buffalo Sabres.
Weiss signed a five-year deal worth $24.5 million with the Red Wings this summer as an unrestricted free agent.
With that type of contract, he’s under considerable pressure to perform.
“Told him if he wasn’t ultra-competitive he couldn’t come here,” Wings head coach Mike Babcock said earlier this month.
“If he didn’t bring it every day he couldn’t come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn’t, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.”
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)