Sep 27, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings forward Stephen Weiss left tonight’s pre-season game against the Toronto Maple Leafs, although it does not appear for anything serious.
Weiss exited the game in the second period with a sore groin, according to TSN’s SportsCentre.
According to Ansar Khan of MLive.com, it was just as a precaution, and that Weiss was “100 per cent sure” he’ll be ready for Detroit’s season and home opener on Oct. 2 against the Buffalo Sabres.
Weiss signed a five-year deal worth $24.5 million with the Red Wings this summer as an unrestricted free agent.
With that type of contract, he’s under considerable pressure to perform.
“Told him if he wasn’t ultra-competitive he couldn’t come here,” Wings head coach Mike Babcock said earlier this month.
“If he didn’t bring it every day he couldn’t come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn’t, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.”
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)