Sep 27, 2013, 11:25 PM EST
Detroit Red Wings forward Stephen Weiss left tonight’s pre-season game against the Toronto Maple Leafs, although it does not appear for anything serious.
Weiss exited the game in the second period with a sore groin, according to TSN’s SportsCentre.
According to Ansar Khan of MLive.com, it was just as a precaution, and that Weiss was “100 per cent sure” he’ll be ready for Detroit’s season and home opener on Oct. 2 against the Buffalo Sabres.
Weiss signed a five-year deal worth $24.5 million with the Red Wings this summer as an unrestricted free agent.
With that type of contract, he’s under considerable pressure to perform.
“Told him if he wasn’t ultra-competitive he couldn’t come here,” Wings head coach Mike Babcock said earlier this month.
“If he didn’t bring it every day he couldn’t come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn’t, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.”
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 9
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 18
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)