Sep 27, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
Forward Michael Raffl might have a lot of promise, but he won’t be featured in the Philadelphia Flyers’ season opener. The team announced that Raffl and defensemen Oliver Lauridsen have been sent to AHL Adirondack.
Raffl, 24, attracted attention during the 2013 World Hockey Championships when he played on the same line as Buffalo’s Tomas Vanek, but he stood out even before that in the Swedish second division. He led that league with 46 points in 49 games while playing on the same team as Nashville Predators rookie Filip Forsberg.
“He’s a good player, who we think can be NHL ready,” Flyers Director of Hockey Operations Chris Pryor said after signing Raffl over the summer. “There’s going to be a learning curve, but he’s got enough in his game to be able to make that adjustment rather quickly.”
Raffl took part in four preseason games and didn’t record a point.
Lauridsen was originally taken in the seventh round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, but he worked his way up to the NHL last season, playing in 15 games with Philadelphia. Even still, he was a long shot to make a team that featured eight other defensemen signed to one-way contracts, not including Chris Pronger.
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 15
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)