Sep 27, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
Forward Michael Raffl might have a lot of promise, but he won’t be featured in the Philadelphia Flyers’ season opener. The team announced that Raffl and defensemen Oliver Lauridsen have been sent to AHL Adirondack.
Raffl, 24, attracted attention during the 2013 World Hockey Championships when he played on the same line as Buffalo’s Tomas Vanek, but he stood out even before that in the Swedish second division. He led that league with 46 points in 49 games while playing on the same team as Nashville Predators rookie Filip Forsberg.
“He’s a good player, who we think can be NHL ready,” Flyers Director of Hockey Operations Chris Pryor said after signing Raffl over the summer. “There’s going to be a learning curve, but he’s got enough in his game to be able to make that adjustment rather quickly.”
Raffl took part in four preseason games and didn’t record a point.
Lauridsen was originally taken in the seventh round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, but he worked his way up to the NHL last season, playing in 15 games with Philadelphia. Even still, he was a long shot to make a team that featured eight other defensemen signed to one-way contracts, not including Chris Pronger.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 2
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)