Sep 27, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
The future of defenseman John-Michael Liles with the Toronto Maple Leafs sounds uncertain all of the sudden.
Liles is entering the second year of his four-year deal with the Maple Leafs, and comes with an annual cap hit of $3.875 million. That said, the prospect of him making this team doesn’t sound all that promising.
“The feelings that are inside the management and the coach’s office should be left there,” said Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle, according to Chris Johnston of Sportsnet.ca.
“We know there are tough decisions coming. We think that some people have separated themselves both positively and negatively.”
According to Capgeek.com, the Leafs are still above the 2013-14 salary cap.
There were several reports out of Toronto on Friday that the 32-year-old Liles will likely be assigned to the Toronto Marlies in the American Hockey League, although he would have to clear waivers first.
“You go out there and do what you can do,” Liles told the National Post. “Ultimately it’s up to the front office and not up to you. That’s all you can do.”
Last season, following the lockout, Liles struggled at times as a puck-moving blue liner, producing 11 points in 32 games. He suited up in only four playoff games.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)