Sep 27, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
The future of defenseman John-Michael Liles with the Toronto Maple Leafs sounds uncertain all of the sudden.
Liles is entering the second year of his four-year deal with the Maple Leafs, and comes with an annual cap hit of $3.875 million. That said, the prospect of him making this team doesn’t sound all that promising.
“The feelings that are inside the management and the coach’s office should be left there,” said Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle, according to Chris Johnston of Sportsnet.ca.
“We know there are tough decisions coming. We think that some people have separated themselves both positively and negatively.”
According to Capgeek.com, the Leafs are still above the 2013-14 salary cap.
There were several reports out of Toronto on Friday that the 32-year-old Liles will likely be assigned to the Toronto Marlies in the American Hockey League, although he would have to clear waivers first.
“You go out there and do what you can do,” Liles told the National Post. “Ultimately it’s up to the front office and not up to you. That’s all you can do.”
Last season, following the lockout, Liles struggled at times as a puck-moving blue liner, producing 11 points in 32 games. He suited up in only four playoff games.
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 9
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)