Sep 27, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
The future of defenseman John-Michael Liles with the Toronto Maple Leafs sounds uncertain all of the sudden.
Liles is entering the second year of his four-year deal with the Maple Leafs, and comes with an annual cap hit of $3.875 million. That said, the prospect of him making this team doesn’t sound all that promising.
“The feelings that are inside the management and the coach’s office should be left there,” said Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle, according to Chris Johnston of Sportsnet.ca.
“We know there are tough decisions coming. We think that some people have separated themselves both positively and negatively.”
According to Capgeek.com, the Leafs are still above the 2013-14 salary cap.
There were several reports out of Toronto on Friday that the 32-year-old Liles will likely be assigned to the Toronto Marlies in the American Hockey League, although he would have to clear waivers first.
“You go out there and do what you can do,” Liles told the National Post. “Ultimately it’s up to the front office and not up to you. That’s all you can do.”
Last season, following the lockout, Liles struggled at times as a puck-moving blue liner, producing 11 points in 32 games. He suited up in only four playoff games.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 17
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 76
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 95
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)