Sep 27, 2013, 7:40 PM EST
The future of defenseman John-Michael Liles with the Toronto Maple Leafs sounds uncertain all of the sudden.
Liles is entering the second year of his four-year deal with the Maple Leafs, and comes with an annual cap hit of $3.875 million. That said, the prospect of him making this team doesn’t sound all that promising.
“The feelings that are inside the management and the coach’s office should be left there,” said Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle, according to Chris Johnston of Sportsnet.ca.
“We know there are tough decisions coming. We think that some people have separated themselves both positively and negatively.”
According to Capgeek.com, the Leafs are still above the 2013-14 salary cap.
There were several reports out of Toronto on Friday that the 32-year-old Liles will likely be assigned to the Toronto Marlies in the American Hockey League, although he would have to clear waivers first.
“You go out there and do what you can do,” Liles told the National Post. “Ultimately it’s up to the front office and not up to you. That’s all you can do.”
Last season, following the lockout, Liles struggled at times as a puck-moving blue liner, producing 11 points in 32 games. He suited up in only four playoff games.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)