Sep 27, 2013, 6:57 PM EST
Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren has made some intriguing comments about the possibility of a trade prior to the beginning of the regular season.
He didn’t shut down the possibility of a deal, but wasn’t about to tip his hand, either.
According to the numbers crunched on Capgeek.com, the Flyers are over the 2013-14 salary cap of $64.3 million and have nine defenseman under contract – not including Hal Gill on a tryout.
Those numbers on the blue line might entice the GM to think about making a move in the coming days. The Flyers have until Monday afternoon to get down to the salary cap.
“This time of year, you always ask questions like ‘What are you looking for?’ and ‘What do you need?’ It’s just general talk,” Holmgren told philly.com.
“This time of year, waivers everyday, there’s a lot of teams slipping guys down to the minors that way. It’s a critical time for every team as they try to fill out their roster.”
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)