Sep 27, 2013, 6:57 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren has made some intriguing comments about the possibility of a trade prior to the beginning of the regular season.
He didn’t shut down the possibility of a deal, but wasn’t about to tip his hand, either.
According to the numbers crunched on Capgeek.com, the Flyers are over the 2013-14 salary cap of $64.3 million and have nine defenseman under contract – not including Hal Gill on a tryout.
Those numbers on the blue line might entice the GM to think about making a move in the coming days. The Flyers have until Monday afternoon to get down to the salary cap.
“This time of year, you always ask questions like ‘What are you looking for?’ and ‘What do you need?’ It’s just general talk,” Holmgren told philly.com.
“This time of year, waivers everyday, there’s a lot of teams slipping guys down to the minors that way. It’s a critical time for every team as they try to fill out their roster.”
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 0
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 10
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22