Sep 27, 2013, 6:57 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren has made some intriguing comments about the possibility of a trade prior to the beginning of the regular season.
He didn’t shut down the possibility of a deal, but wasn’t about to tip his hand, either.
According to the numbers crunched on Capgeek.com, the Flyers are over the 2013-14 salary cap of $64.3 million and have nine defenseman under contract – not including Hal Gill on a tryout.
Those numbers on the blue line might entice the GM to think about making a move in the coming days. The Flyers have until Monday afternoon to get down to the salary cap.
“This time of year, you always ask questions like ‘What are you looking for?’ and ‘What do you need?’ It’s just general talk,” Holmgren told philly.com.
“This time of year, waivers everyday, there’s a lot of teams slipping guys down to the minors that way. It’s a critical time for every team as they try to fill out their roster.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 20
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)