Sep 27, 2013, 6:57 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren has made some intriguing comments about the possibility of a trade prior to the beginning of the regular season.
He didn’t shut down the possibility of a deal, but wasn’t about to tip his hand, either.
According to the numbers crunched on Capgeek.com, the Flyers are over the 2013-14 salary cap of $64.3 million and have nine defenseman under contract – not including Hal Gill on a tryout.
Those numbers on the blue line might entice the GM to think about making a move in the coming days. The Flyers have until Monday afternoon to get down to the salary cap.
“This time of year, you always ask questions like ‘What are you looking for?’ and ‘What do you need?’ It’s just general talk,” Holmgren told philly.com.
“This time of year, waivers everyday, there’s a lot of teams slipping guys down to the minors that way. It’s a critical time for every team as they try to fill out their roster.”
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 7
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)