Sep 27, 2013, 5:01 PM EST
Danny DeKeyser would like to start the season off right with the Detroit Red Wings, his banged up knee just has to allow him to do it.
Detroit’s rookie blue liner tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press the knee he hurt Wednesday night will have him sitting out the final two preseason games this weekend and hopes opening night won’t be in doubt.
“It’s just precautionary,” DeKeyser . “It’s a little sore, so I want to make sure it’s 100% before I go out there again.”
DeKeyser arrived on the scene last season after departing Western Michigan University and had instant success with Detroit before getting hurt. The news does get better for the Red Wings as Jakub Kindl (hip flexor) returns to the lineup for tonight’s game against Toronto.
Going into the season healthy would make for a pleasant change for the Wings after the issues they ran into last season.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)