Sep 27, 2013, 5:01 PM EST
Danny DeKeyser would like to start the season off right with the Detroit Red Wings, his banged up knee just has to allow him to do it.
Detroit’s rookie blue liner tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press the knee he hurt Wednesday night will have him sitting out the final two preseason games this weekend and hopes opening night won’t be in doubt.
“It’s just precautionary,” DeKeyser . “It’s a little sore, so I want to make sure it’s 100% before I go out there again.”
DeKeyser arrived on the scene last season after departing Western Michigan University and had instant success with Detroit before getting hurt. The news does get better for the Red Wings as Jakub Kindl (hip flexor) returns to the lineup for tonight’s game against Toronto.
Going into the season healthy would make for a pleasant change for the Wings after the issues they ran into last season.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)