Sep 27, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
Danny DeKeyser would like to start the season off right with the Detroit Red Wings, his banged up knee just has to allow him to do it.
Detroit’s rookie blue liner tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press the knee he hurt Wednesday night will have him sitting out the final two preseason games this weekend and hopes opening night won’t be in doubt.
“It’s just precautionary,” DeKeyser . “It’s a little sore, so I want to make sure it’s 100% before I go out there again.”
DeKeyser arrived on the scene last season after departing Western Michigan University and had instant success with Detroit before getting hurt. The news does get better for the Red Wings as Jakub Kindl (hip flexor) returns to the lineup for tonight’s game against Toronto.
Going into the season healthy would make for a pleasant change for the Wings after the issues they ran into last season.
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 9
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 8
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 32
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)