Sep 27, 2013, 2:12 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have a pair of young forwards they really like. They’re also having a hard time deciding who stays with the big club as well.
2013 first-round pick Max Domi and 2011 second-round pick Lucas Lessio are competing for the last forward spot with the team and as GM Don Maloney puts it, their decision is going to be tough to make. Craig Morgan of Fox Sports Arizona has the story and it sounds like Lessio has the lead on Domi.
“From Day 1 in camp, Lucas has willed himself onto our roster with hard work,” Maloney said. “We’ve been waiting to see a drop-off and we haven’t seen one, so he’s probably the most pleasant surprise in camp.”
Maloney says Lessio could play on any of the four lines while Domi would have to be on one of the top two scoring lines to fit in best. That turns into a dilemma as to what coach Dave Tippett needs more of: Goals or all-around play.
Domi making the jump right into the NHL would be a surprise as he’s got the option to head back to juniors. While he could get a nine-game look, after seeing how things went with Kyle Turris in the past, they may not want to do that again.
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 97
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115