Sep 27, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin recently celebrated his 28th birthday, so he’s clearly not a youngster by NHL standards. He’s given the Capitals some great seasons and had some terrific talent around him, but Washington hasn’t gotten past the second round with him.
All the same, Capitals owner Ted Leonsis doesn’t think time is running out for this team to win a championship.
“Well, when our players are 36 years old I’ll probably feel that,” Leonsis said, according to CSN Washington. “But we still have a relatively young team and our core players are just now entering their prime. … I think the window is still wide open for us.”
It helps his argument that Ovechkin is one of the oldest members of his team’s core. Nicklas Backstrom won’t turn 26 until November, Mike Green is still a few weeks away from his 28th birthday, and goaltender Braden Holtby is just 24.
So even though the Capitals won the now defunct Southeast Division in five of their last six campaigns only to fall short in the playoffs, they aren’t in desperation mode yet.
“But this is an important year, obviously, for everybody,” Leonsis added. “We think we have a really, really good team and we want to qualify for the playoffs and we want to go deep in the playoffs and win a Cup.”
The Capitals have two preseason games remaining before the face the Chicago Blackhawks in their season opener on Tuesday.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)