Sep 27, 2013, 1:34 PM EDT
Ryan Whitney’s trial run with the St. Louis Blues is at an end.
The team announced they’ve released the eight-year veteran from his professional tryout agreement.
After spending the past three-and-a-half injury-riddled seasons with the Edmonton Oilers, he was hoping to latch on with the Blues as a puck-moving defenseman. Instead, he wasn’t able to generate much offense in his limited preseason action.
As it was, cracking the Blues lineup on defense was set to be a tall order. Everyone from last year’s team is back and that group has proved to be very strong. With Alex Pietrangelo and Kevin Shattenkirk leading the way and signed long-term, Whitney already had two players doing what he does there.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 36
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63