Sep 27, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
Anything could happen, but the Calgary Flames are expected to be bad this season. They have young and new players and while that gives them hope for the future, it might not make the fanbase feel much better in the short term.
Still, St. Louis Blues coach Ken Hitchcock thinks it’s important for those fans to let this process play out.
“Folks in Calgary have to understand that in order for this to build, patience in the fan base is going to have to be great because it’s going to be frustrating at times,” Hitchcock said, according to the Calgary Sun. “But when it gets built, it can stay built for a long time. Look at Chicago or L.A. – teams built for a cause that will be championship-caliber teams for at least the next five or six years.”
Of course, not every rebuild leads to a Stanley Cup championship, but Hitchcock sees promise in Calgary. He thinks highly of Flames bench boss Bob Hartley. Finding a player that the Flames can rally around will be a key part of the process, but he sees the Flames being a very competitive team in three years.
That might be a tough pill for fans that have already endured four straight seasons of futility, but the team’s focus has shifted and their future may be brighter for it.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)