Sep 26, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT
San Jose’s Marc-Edouard Vlasic now knows everyone is listening when he speaks, especially the NHL.
Head of player safety Brendan Shanahan heard Vlasic’s complaints about the punishment handed down to Phil Kessel and offers up an explanation for his decision. David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News dug in and got the story.
“My door is always open to any player. If he truly wants an explanation, he can reach out to me anytime and I will give him an explanation. That is an easy route and not something that he necessarily needs to do through the newspaper.
“On each incident, we dissect the details. We use our experience to try to establish intent, degree of recklessness. For someone to say the judgment is too lenient of the judgment is too harsh, that’s perfectly acceptable because this is a subjective job and we respect that other people have other opinions.”
Shanahan teaches him a lesson and lets him know he should do it man-to-man instead of through the media. Safe to assume Shanahan didn’t like reading complaints from another player about how he’s doing his job. He even went so far as to explain past actions involving Vlasic.
People may not agree with how Shanahan doles out punishment, but he’s owning every bit of it.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 0
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)