Sep 26, 2013, 10:24 AM EST
San Jose’s Marc-Edouard Vlasic now knows everyone is listening when he speaks, especially the NHL.
Head of player safety Brendan Shanahan heard Vlasic’s complaints about the punishment handed down to Phil Kessel and offers up an explanation for his decision. David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News dug in and got the story.
“My door is always open to any player. If he truly wants an explanation, he can reach out to me anytime and I will give him an explanation. That is an easy route and not something that he necessarily needs to do through the newspaper.
“On each incident, we dissect the details. We use our experience to try to establish intent, degree of recklessness. For someone to say the judgment is too lenient of the judgment is too harsh, that’s perfectly acceptable because this is a subjective job and we respect that other people have other opinions.”
Shanahan teaches him a lesson and lets him know he should do it man-to-man instead of through the media. Safe to assume Shanahan didn’t like reading complaints from another player about how he’s doing his job. He even went so far as to explain past actions involving Vlasic.
People may not agree with how Shanahan doles out punishment, but he’s owning every bit of it.
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 5
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 43
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 100
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Flyers blow 4-1 lead, Caps win in shootout 25
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (122)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (100)