Sep 26, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Franson, 26, went into this summer with four straight 20-plus point seasons under his belt. Of course, that accomplishment was most noteworthy in the shortened campaign when he scored four goals and registered 25 assists in 45 games.
In the short-term, this signing makes it less likely that 19-year-old top prospect Morgan Rielly will be one of the defensemen to make the team’s opening game roster. As it is, Toronto now has seven blueliners inked to one-way contracts, not including Jake Gardiner. This deal also puts the Maple Leafs in a somewhat difficult cap situation, but at the same time, Franson’s cap hit is about as low as they could have reasonably hoped for.
In the long-term, the Maple Leafs inability to ink Franson to a long-term contract could prove to be costly. Franson will have arbitration rights next summer and could command a sizable raise if he has another strong season.
For now though, Franson is just happy that this is behind him.
“This is my dream place to play,” said Franson. “I grew up a Leafs fan. We’ve got a lot of unfinished business as a team and I feel like we’re moving in the right direction. It’s obviously something I want to be a part of.”
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 5
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 36
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 24
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)