Sep 26, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Franson, 26, went into this summer with four straight 20-plus point seasons under his belt. Of course, that accomplishment was most noteworthy in the shortened campaign when he scored four goals and registered 25 assists in 45 games.
In the short-term, this signing makes it less likely that 19-year-old top prospect Morgan Rielly will be one of the defensemen to make the team’s opening game roster. As it is, Toronto now has seven blueliners inked to one-way contracts, not including Jake Gardiner. This deal also puts the Maple Leafs in a somewhat difficult cap situation, but at the same time, Franson’s cap hit is about as low as they could have reasonably hoped for.
In the long-term, the Maple Leafs inability to ink Franson to a long-term contract could prove to be costly. Franson will have arbitration rights next summer and could command a sizable raise if he has another strong season.
For now though, Franson is just happy that this is behind him.
“This is my dream place to play,” said Franson. “I grew up a Leafs fan. We’ve got a lot of unfinished business as a team and I feel like we’re moving in the right direction. It’s obviously something I want to be a part of.”
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)