Sep 26, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Franson, 26, went into this summer with four straight 20-plus point seasons under his belt. Of course, that accomplishment was most noteworthy in the shortened campaign when he scored four goals and registered 25 assists in 45 games.
In the short-term, this signing makes it less likely that 19-year-old top prospect Morgan Rielly will be one of the defensemen to make the team’s opening game roster. As it is, Toronto now has seven blueliners inked to one-way contracts, not including Jake Gardiner. This deal also puts the Maple Leafs in a somewhat difficult cap situation, but at the same time, Franson’s cap hit is about as low as they could have reasonably hoped for.
In the long-term, the Maple Leafs inability to ink Franson to a long-term contract could prove to be costly. Franson will have arbitration rights next summer and could command a sizable raise if he has another strong season.
For now though, Franson is just happy that this is behind him.
“This is my dream place to play,” said Franson. “I grew up a Leafs fan. We’ve got a lot of unfinished business as a team and I feel like we’re moving in the right direction. It’s obviously something I want to be a part of.”
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 0
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 15
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)