Sep 26, 2013, 12:26 PM EST
Former Florida Panthers goalie Jose Theodore may not be out of work much longer.
Francois Gagnon of RDS reports (link in French) the 2002 Hart Trophy winner has three NHL teams looking into signing him. Among the possible suitors are the Pittsburgh Penguins, Nashville Predators, and San Jose Sharks. All three teams will start the season with questionable backup situations.
In Pittsburgh, Tomas Vokoun‘s absence with a blood clot forces AHL veteran Jeff Zatkoff into the backup role. Nashville has Carter Hutton looking to backup Pekka Rinne while the Sharks have competition between Alex Stalock and Harri Sateri for the No. 2 spot behind Antti Niemi.
Those teams could get by with what they have already as backups, but Theodore provides the kind of veteran know-how coaches are more comfortable with.
There were rumors earlier of KHL interest in Theodore but he’s holding out for a NHL job. He wanted to stay with the Panthers, but they didn’t offer him a new deal and opted to invite Tim Thomas to camp this summer. Thomas is likely to sign with the team once new ownership takes over.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)