Report: Thomas to sign one-year deal between $3-$4 million with Florida

Sep 26, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT

Tim Thomas Getty Images

Tim Thomas’ self-appointed NHL exile is about to come to an end.

TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the 39-year-old goalie will sign a one-year deal with the Florida Panthers once the team’s new owners take control. He says the contract will pay between $3-$4 million for the season and helps make their goaltending situation all the more interesting.

Before Thomas arrived on a tryout basis, GM Dale Tallon said it would be Jacob Markstrom‘s team to lead. Now with a two-time Vezina Trophy winner and Stanley Cup champion in the fold you have to wonder how that will change.

As for when the new ownership will take over, the team has called a press conference for tomorrow morning to announce Vincent Viola’s group as the new buyers.

If Viola’s group takes over today, there’s a chance Thomas could be signed right away and play in the Panthers’ preseason game tonight against Tampa Bay. At the latest, a deal should be done tomorrow.

1. ibieiniid - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM

what a life, man. get paid millions. take a year (with offseasons, year and a half) off when you want to. go back to getting paid millions. no questions asked.

• hockey412 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM

And in the process move from Boston to Fort Lauderdale. Not tooooooo bad.

• ibieiniid - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I’m probably the minority here, but personally, I’d rather live in Boston. the way I see it, if it weren’t for the weather, F.L., FL has nothing over Boston…. but I’ve never LIVED in either so I can’t say for sure.

that’s beside the point tho. Thomas probably prefers it. seems like a FL kind of dude.

• Tyler - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM

@ibieiniid I could see a couple reasons why he’d want to be in Florida:

Still in the same division, but the Panthers don’t have quite the hockey market that Boston does. Less pressure from the media and he’ll be under a much smaller microscope.

Doesn’t have someone like Rask breathing down his neck. Panther fans will be thrilled to have him. Boston fans can be ruthless.

Not to mention Florida has no state income tax and the cost of living is between 10-15% lower in Miami area than it is in Boston.

• hockey412 - Sep 27, 2013 at 7:54 AM

And there are a lot more bikinis per capita in Fla. Don’t forget about the bikinis.

• grudenthediva - Sep 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM

“FL has nothing over Boston…. but I’ve never LIVED in either so I can’t say for sure. ”

And the Idiot Comment of the Day award goes to…

• ibieiniid - Sep 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM

you conveniently left off the part where I said it’s my opinion. you, yourself, have been awarded the “Idiot half-quote of the day award.”

2. goalieguy37 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM

politics and personal choices aside, he’s my favorite goalie. very exciting to watch. remember this?

• jcmeyer10 - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:10 PM

The series really changed on that play.

3. bcsteele - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Holy Payday! How in the world did he land THAT much after taking the year off? I would have expected a million plus shy of where that’s looking to wind up. Guess it doesn’t matter given its only a one year contract though…

4. pirovash88 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:12 PM

That is way too much money for Tim Thomas. He hasn’t played in a year, who knows if he’s half as good as he was when he won The Cup with Boston. Then again, it’s Florida, so he’ll probably still be their best player regardless.

• hockey412 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I’ll betcha if Fla had voted Republican in the last two elections he’d have done it for $1M.

5. amityvillefun - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM

A year in the sun playing hockey? He won’t be winning any more Cups out there, but at least he’ll be rich and have a great tan.

I wish I could take a year off and come back to that!

Tim Thomas….every save is for America. Because he cares. :)

6. stepanup - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Wow. If the Panthers always paid like that they could have a competitive team more often.

7. lonespeed - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Who were they bidding against? No one.

They way over paid for his services. They could have offered him two million and the worst he could have done was walked away, which I don’t think he would have done because he’s now desperate to get back into the league.

They over paid for a goal tender in his twilight.

• ibieiniid - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM

IMO, they were bidding against Tim Thomas, essentially. no reason he HAD to come back. I think that’d be a tough thing to do. there’s no telling what his real value is when nobody’s bidding against you, and haven’t for a year and a half (or is it more?). Do you lowball a headstrong guy like Thomas? Nope. they got plenty of cap room with no plans to fill it. I would have had to do the same.

8. sabatimus - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Don’t date within the division.

9. rushledger - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Lol sabatimus I remember that commercial, not a bruins fan but that was a good one. Hey tell the don’t date with in the division rule to Rick Nash, Daniel Alfredson and of course Tim Thomas.

10. claysbar - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:15 PM

For all the “If I could only do that” people…shut the hell up. You can’t, won’t, so let it go.

• ibieiniid - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM

You sound like you’d be a real swell father.

• claysbar - Sep 26, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Reality sir, reality

11. Exiled1 - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM

This makes me give a deuce about the Panthers. I’m not a Tim Thomas fan but it’d be cool to see if his talent can back his chutzpah. I’ll be keeping tabs.

12. capsfan19 - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Wow. Just wow. Not trying to be hater or troller but it seems either desparation or wanting to sign a big name by fla.

13. hersheysquirts588 - Sep 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Whatever, they have a ton of cap room anyway

14. jpelle82 - Sep 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM

i’m just glad he isnt with the islanders, still cant believe they did nothing in the goaltending department. all that young talent going to waste away again with nabokov in net. they couldve at least gave thomas a test drive

Illegal hits are down -- but will it last?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches