Sep 26, 2013, 11:43 PM EST
Steve Mason and the Flyers experienced a rough 4-1 preseason defeat at the hands of the New Jersey Devils on Thursday.
Whether Emery starts this coming Wednesday or not, it would be foolish to read too much into the early goings. Head coach Peter Laviolette told Carchidi that both netminders will get some looks.
“I think we have two good goaltenders that will play a lot,” Laviolette said on Monday. “We’re going to pick one to start the season and see the other one probably shortly after that. They’ve both done a real nice job.”
Emery, 30, enjoyed a dramatically better 2013 season than Mason, 25, yet his career edges aren’t quite as pronounced:
Emery: 126-63-19 with a .908 save percentage and 2.63 GAA in 228 career regular season games
Mason: 100-101-27 with a .905 save percentage and 2.87 GAA in 239 career regular season games
Emery certainly has a huge edge in record, but he’s almost uniformly played behind better teams than Mason, which might help to explain why Philly is leaving this competition so open.
It does seem like Emery has at least a short-term leg up, if Carchidi is correct, though.
Nov 26, 2014, 1:03 PM EST
The Blues are one of the few teams in the NHL with a surplus of quality centers.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
Jordan Binnington on his way up to St. Louis.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
What are the chances the Islanders, Leafs, Predators, Canucks, Flames and Jets can hang on?
Nov 26, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
Fall from grace for the former 30-goal scorer.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:42 AM EST
Out “a couple of weeks” with a lower-body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Arizona forward forced the Avs d-man from the game.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Dallas forward does have a history with the NHL’s player safety department.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:58 AM EST
To cheer, or boo? That’s the query.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
Two teams headed down different paths?
Nov 26, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
He missed the last three games with an upper-body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:16 AM EST
It’s a question that could decide a playoff spot or two.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:51 AM EST
Tough start to the season for the veteran defenseman.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:12 AM EST
Wednesday’s roundup of links.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:00 AM EST
Colorado has now won four of five.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:45 AM EST
Jackets and Oilers talking trade.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
The Avs’ defenseman left the game and did not return.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:25 PM EST
The Oilers’ forward has had his share of knee injuries.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:29 PM EST
Spent time in Vancouver as a player and a coach.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:54 PM EST
Will not return due to a lower body injury.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:18 PM EST
Extends point streak to five games.
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 4
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 4
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 9
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)