Sep 26, 2013, 11:43 PM EDT
Steve Mason and the Flyers experienced a rough 4-1 preseason defeat at the hands of the New Jersey Devils on Thursday.
Whether Emery starts this coming Wednesday or not, it would be foolish to read too much into the early goings. Head coach Peter Laviolette told Carchidi that both netminders will get some looks.
“I think we have two good goaltenders that will play a lot,” Laviolette said on Monday. “We’re going to pick one to start the season and see the other one probably shortly after that. They’ve both done a real nice job.”
Emery, 30, enjoyed a dramatically better 2013 season than Mason, 25, yet his career edges aren’t quite as pronounced:
Emery: 126-63-19 with a .908 save percentage and 2.63 GAA in 228 career regular season games
Mason: 100-101-27 with a .905 save percentage and 2.87 GAA in 239 career regular season games
Emery certainly has a huge edge in record, but he’s almost uniformly played behind better teams than Mason, which might help to explain why Philly is leaving this competition so open.
It does seem like Emery has at least a short-term leg up, if Carchidi is correct, though.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
Just a few storylines heading into this one…
Apr 21, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Paul Stastny, Nathan MacKinnon, and Gabriel Landeskog have scored seven of the Avs’ nine goals.
Apr 21, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Justin Fontaine also gets in.
Apr 21, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Spearing has been a hot topic in the early stages of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Apr 21, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
First playoff game at Nationwide in five years tonight.
Apr 21, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Columbus comes home after a game of franchise firsts in Pittsburgh.
Apr 21, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
John Gibson and Sami Vatanen on their way down.
Apr 21, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
Maybe he was a big fan of donuts.
Apr 21, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
They’re a young team that isn’t intimidated.
Apr 21, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
Columbus and Dallas host playoff games for first time in years.
Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
This has happened a few times in these playoffs.
Apr 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Apr 21, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT
This one could’ve gotten uglier than it did.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:47 AM EDT
Took this game over in the second period.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
Patrick Roy: “We’re going to be very smart about when he’s going to come back.”
Apr 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Was shaken up after taking a knee to the head.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Just another game between these two California rivals.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Tough breaks for Tampa Bay.
- Wild hoping last change can help turn the tide versus Avs 0
- Wild changes: Kuemper starts, Brodziak sits, Heatley draws in 2
- No hearing scheduled for Richards after Couture spear 8
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 14
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 25
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 31
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 68
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (152)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (111)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)