Sep 26, 2013, 11:43 PM EDT
Steve Mason and the Flyers experienced a rough 4-1 preseason defeat at the hands of the New Jersey Devils on Thursday.
Whether Emery starts this coming Wednesday or not, it would be foolish to read too much into the early goings. Head coach Peter Laviolette told Carchidi that both netminders will get some looks.
“I think we have two good goaltenders that will play a lot,” Laviolette said on Monday. “We’re going to pick one to start the season and see the other one probably shortly after that. They’ve both done a real nice job.”
Emery, 30, enjoyed a dramatically better 2013 season than Mason, 25, yet his career edges aren’t quite as pronounced:
Emery: 126-63-19 with a .908 save percentage and 2.63 GAA in 228 career regular season games
Mason: 100-101-27 with a .905 save percentage and 2.87 GAA in 239 career regular season games
Emery certainly has a huge edge in record, but he’s almost uniformly played behind better teams than Mason, which might help to explain why Philly is leaving this competition so open.
It does seem like Emery has at least a short-term leg up, if Carchidi is correct, though.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)