Sep 26, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
Signing Tim Thomas gives the Florida Panthers something of a three-headed monster in net, although one wouldn’t confuse this with the St. Louis Blues’ situation, which seems like an embarrassment of riches by comparison.
Regardless, the Panthers organization will need to decide if they’d rather pair Scott Clemmensen or Jacob Markstrom with their new 39-year-old goalie. (Thomas is likely to be the starter, barring a meltdown.)
The answer, for at least a little while, could be “a little of both.”
Markstrom, 23, can be sent to the minors without being placed on waivers in 2013-14 thanks to the first year of his deal being two-way.
Clemmensen, 36, might still be rehabbing from surgery by the time the regular season starts, so that could give Markstrom extra time to show that he deserves to stay at the NHL level full-time.
Clemmensen is on a one-way deal so another team can claim him if he’s sent long-term. Considering his $1.3 million salary (and $1.2 million cap hit), the Panthers might not be so sad about someone scooping him up, really.
Neither of the two goalies put up dynamite numbers in 2013, although it’s obvious the Panthers expect big things from Markstrom … eventually.
Panthers GM Dale Tallon discussed both netminders following the Thomas announcement. He told the Miami Herald’s George Richards that:
1. He hasn’t “thought about” sending Clemmensen down to the AHL. It’s worth noting that they could do so for a short time on a rehab stint, anyway.
2. Tallon told Richards that he knows Markstrom is talented but still believes the Thomas addition is “good for the organization.”
One could point to warts for all three of these goalies, yet the Panthers were wise to give themselves more options for this coming season. It will probably force Tallon & Co. to make a tough choice or two, though.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)