Sep 26, 2013, 6:24 PM EST
The Florida Panthers made it official on Thursday, signing Tim Thomas to a one-year deal.
Thomas will receive a base salary of $2.5 million but he could reach bonuses up to $3.75 million (which counts as his salary cap hit), according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. Cap Geek points out that his deal includes a no-movement clause.
“Tim is a proven winner who we are pleased to have signed,” Tallon said. “He is a fierce competitor who brings to our club a wealth of experience including a Stanley Cup Championship, two Vezina trophies and a Conn Smythe. He is a hardworking, driven and dedicated individual who will help our club achieve future success.”
Can Thomas, 39, shake off a year of rust and put up fantastic numbers without the Bruins system and Zdeno Chara? That’s anyone’s guess, but few would deny that it should be fascinating to watch.
Here are some key dates for Thomas and the Panthers:
Oct. 3: the team’s season-opener in Dallas.
Oct. 11: the Panthers’ home opener against Pittsburgh.
Oct. 17: Panthers host the Bruins.
Nov. 7: Florida travels to Boston.
Nov. 19: Florida visits Vancouver. Could we see a Thomas vs. Roberto Luongo match?
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)