Sep 26, 2013, 6:24 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers made it official on Thursday, signing Tim Thomas to a one-year deal.
Thomas will receive a base salary of $2.5 million but he could reach bonuses up to $3.75 million (which counts as his salary cap hit), according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. Cap Geek points out that his deal includes a no-movement clause.
“Tim is a proven winner who we are pleased to have signed,” Tallon said. “He is a fierce competitor who brings to our club a wealth of experience including a Stanley Cup Championship, two Vezina trophies and a Conn Smythe. He is a hardworking, driven and dedicated individual who will help our club achieve future success.”
Can Thomas, 39, shake off a year of rust and put up fantastic numbers without the Bruins system and Zdeno Chara? That’s anyone’s guess, but few would deny that it should be fascinating to watch.
Here are some key dates for Thomas and the Panthers:
Oct. 3: the team’s season-opener in Dallas.
Oct. 11: the Panthers’ home opener against Pittsburgh.
Oct. 17: Panthers host the Bruins.
Nov. 7: Florida travels to Boston.
Nov. 19: Florida visits Vancouver. Could we see a Thomas vs. Roberto Luongo match?
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)