Sep 26, 2013, 6:24 PM EST
The Florida Panthers made it official on Thursday, signing Tim Thomas to a one-year deal.
Thomas will receive a base salary of $2.5 million but he could reach bonuses up to $3.75 million (which counts as his salary cap hit), according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. Cap Geek points out that his deal includes a no-movement clause.
“Tim is a proven winner who we are pleased to have signed,” Tallon said. “He is a fierce competitor who brings to our club a wealth of experience including a Stanley Cup Championship, two Vezina trophies and a Conn Smythe. He is a hardworking, driven and dedicated individual who will help our club achieve future success.”
Can Thomas, 39, shake off a year of rust and put up fantastic numbers without the Bruins system and Zdeno Chara? That’s anyone’s guess, but few would deny that it should be fascinating to watch.
Here are some key dates for Thomas and the Panthers:
Oct. 3: the team’s season-opener in Dallas.
Oct. 11: the Panthers’ home opener against Pittsburgh.
Oct. 17: Panthers host the Bruins.
Nov. 7: Florida travels to Boston.
Nov. 19: Florida visits Vancouver. Could we see a Thomas vs. Roberto Luongo match?
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)