Sep 26, 2013, 6:24 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers made it official on Thursday, signing Tim Thomas to a one-year deal.
Thomas will receive a base salary of $2.5 million but he could reach bonuses up to $3.75 million (which counts as his salary cap hit), according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. Cap Geek points out that his deal includes a no-movement clause.
“Tim is a proven winner who we are pleased to have signed,” Tallon said. “He is a fierce competitor who brings to our club a wealth of experience including a Stanley Cup Championship, two Vezina trophies and a Conn Smythe. He is a hardworking, driven and dedicated individual who will help our club achieve future success.”
Can Thomas, 39, shake off a year of rust and put up fantastic numbers without the Bruins system and Zdeno Chara? That’s anyone’s guess, but few would deny that it should be fascinating to watch.
Here are some key dates for Thomas and the Panthers:
Oct. 3: the team’s season-opener in Dallas.
Oct. 11: the Panthers’ home opener against Pittsburgh.
Oct. 17: Panthers host the Bruins.
Nov. 7: Florida travels to Boston.
Nov. 19: Florida visits Vancouver. Could we see a Thomas vs. Roberto Luongo match?
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 9
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 19
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 24
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 40
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 64
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (101)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)