Sep 26, 2013, 6:24 PM EST
The Florida Panthers made it official on Thursday, signing Tim Thomas to a one-year deal.
Thomas will receive a base salary of $2.5 million but he could reach bonuses up to $3.75 million (which counts as his salary cap hit), according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. Cap Geek points out that his deal includes a no-movement clause.
“Tim is a proven winner who we are pleased to have signed,” Tallon said. “He is a fierce competitor who brings to our club a wealth of experience including a Stanley Cup Championship, two Vezina trophies and a Conn Smythe. He is a hardworking, driven and dedicated individual who will help our club achieve future success.”
Can Thomas, 39, shake off a year of rust and put up fantastic numbers without the Bruins system and Zdeno Chara? That’s anyone’s guess, but few would deny that it should be fascinating to watch.
Here are some key dates for Thomas and the Panthers:
Oct. 3: the team’s season-opener in Dallas.
Oct. 11: the Panthers’ home opener against Pittsburgh.
Oct. 17: Panthers host the Bruins.
Nov. 7: Florida travels to Boston.
Nov. 19: Florida visits Vancouver. Could we see a Thomas vs. Roberto Luongo match?
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)