Sep 26, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s dream to carry the Olympic torch will come true.
The Washington Capitals announced Ovechkin will head to Europe to be the first Russian torchbearer for the 2014 Games in Sochi. The ceremony is set to take place on September 29 in Olympia, Greece. As you might expect, Ovechkin is very excited by the honor.
The date makes things interesting as that’s just two days before the Capitals open the season in Chicago against the Blackhawks. Team owner Ted Leonsis gives Ovechkin full leeway to go and represent his country at the ceremony.
“This is a huge honor and we are so proud, and excited for Alex and his family,” he said. “This is a very special event and we are thrilled that he was recognized for his past achievements and his dedication to his craft and his country.”
For those concerned, yes, he will be back in time for opening night.
As for Ovechkin, he could barely contain himself announcing the honor on Twitter.
Thanks Sochi2014 – Coca Cola – Coaches – Teammates – Ted to make my dream to carry Olympic Torch!! See u in Greece!!!!!!!!!!—
Alex Ovechkin (@ovi8) September 26, 2013
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)