Sep 26, 2013, 10:53 AM EST
Alex Ovechkin‘s dream to carry the Olympic torch will come true.
The Washington Capitals announced Ovechkin will head to Europe to be the first Russian torchbearer for the 2014 Games in Sochi. The ceremony is set to take place on September 29 in Olympia, Greece. As you might expect, Ovechkin is very excited by the honor.
The date makes things interesting as that’s just two days before the Capitals open the season in Chicago against the Blackhawks. Team owner Ted Leonsis gives Ovechkin full leeway to go and represent his country at the ceremony.
“This is a huge honor and we are so proud, and excited for Alex and his family,” he said. “This is a very special event and we are thrilled that he was recognized for his past achievements and his dedication to his craft and his country.”
For those concerned, yes, he will be back in time for opening night.
As for Ovechkin, he could barely contain himself announcing the honor on Twitter.
Thanks Sochi2014 – Coca Cola – Coaches – Teammates – Ted to make my dream to carry Olympic Torch!! See u in Greece!!!!!!!!!!—
Alex Ovechkin (@ovi8) September 26, 2013
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 11
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)