Sep 26, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s dream to carry the Olympic torch will come true.
The Washington Capitals announced Ovechkin will head to Europe to be the first Russian torchbearer for the 2014 Games in Sochi. The ceremony is set to take place on September 29 in Olympia, Greece. As you might expect, Ovechkin is very excited by the honor.
The date makes things interesting as that’s just two days before the Capitals open the season in Chicago against the Blackhawks. Team owner Ted Leonsis gives Ovechkin full leeway to go and represent his country at the ceremony.
“This is a huge honor and we are so proud, and excited for Alex and his family,” he said. “This is a very special event and we are thrilled that he was recognized for his past achievements and his dedication to his craft and his country.”
For those concerned, yes, he will be back in time for opening night.
As for Ovechkin, he could barely contain himself announcing the honor on Twitter.
Thanks Sochi2014 – Coca Cola – Coaches – Teammates – Ted to make my dream to carry Olympic Torch!! See u in Greece!!!!!!!!!!—
Alex Ovechkin (@ovi8) September 26, 2013
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)