Sep 26, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
Nikolai Khabibulin isn’t going into the 2013-14 campaign with any illusions. At the age of 40 and behind a goaltender that recently won the Stanley Cup and inked a six-year contract extension, Khabibulin doesn’t expect to wrestle away the starting gig.
“It’s an adjustment, for sure, but I’m trying to prepare for every game like I would play, whether I will or not,” Khabibulin told CSN Chicago. “Just in case something happens. When I do that, it’s a little bit easier.”
Khabibulin will need to be ready though, because while he might not be the number one guy anymore, the Chicago Blackhawks are likely to give goaltender Corey Crawford a fair number of games off. Crawford has never played in more than 57 NHL games in a single season, so playing under him might not be the same as serving as Henrik Lundqvist‘s or Antti Niemi‘s understudy.
While the fate of the Blackhawks don’t rest primarily on his shoulders, how Khabibulin does in those games, and by extension how much Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville feels he can afford to rest Crawford, will be a meaningful factor for Chicago as they attempt to defend the Cup.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)