Sep 26, 2013, 9:41 PM EDT
Marian Hossa skated with the Chicago Blackhawks for the first time Thursday after sitting out some time with an upper-body injury. Head coach Joel Quenneville told ESPN Chicago that the 34-year-old might play in the team’s regular season opener next Tuesday.
“He skated a lot,” Quenneville said. “I thought he skated well in the Notre Dame segment and back here for a few days. He’s been off for probably a week now, but I think if he’s ready, he’ll definitely play. If not, we got time in between after [the season opener.] We’re shooting for Tuesday.”
Quenneville is correct; the Blackhawks have a pretty conveniently staggered schedule so they can pick and choose when Hossa returns, or even give him an extra breather. Here’s how their first three games play out before the grind really starts:
Tuesday, Oct. 1: season and home opener against Washington
Saturday, Oct. 5: home against Tampa Bay
Wednesday, Oct. 9: at St. Louis
As you can see, the Blackhawks could give Hossa a significant amount of extra rest if they merely hold him out two or three extra games. They could also ease him into the lineup if he plays all those contests, too.
All things considered, it’s probably an ideal initial setup considering Chicago’s challenging Stanley Cup run.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)