Sep 26, 2013, 9:41 PM EDT
Marian Hossa skated with the Chicago Blackhawks for the first time Thursday after sitting out some time with an upper-body injury. Head coach Joel Quenneville told ESPN Chicago that the 34-year-old might play in the team’s regular season opener next Tuesday.
“He skated a lot,” Quenneville said. “I thought he skated well in the Notre Dame segment and back here for a few days. He’s been off for probably a week now, but I think if he’s ready, he’ll definitely play. If not, we got time in between after [the season opener.] We’re shooting for Tuesday.”
Quenneville is correct; the Blackhawks have a pretty conveniently staggered schedule so they can pick and choose when Hossa returns, or even give him an extra breather. Here’s how their first three games play out before the grind really starts:
Tuesday, Oct. 1: season and home opener against Washington
Saturday, Oct. 5: home against Tampa Bay
Wednesday, Oct. 9: at St. Louis
As you can see, the Blackhawks could give Hossa a significant amount of extra rest if they merely hold him out two or three extra games. They could also ease him into the lineup if he plays all those contests, too.
All things considered, it’s probably an ideal initial setup considering Chicago’s challenging Stanley Cup run.
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 0
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 1
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 12
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 103
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)