Sep 26, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
Defenseman Cody Franson might not have gotten everything he wanted, but after signing a one-year, $2 million contract, the former restricted free agent was finally able to practice with his teammates. With two preseason games left on the Maple Leafs schedule, he should be penciled in to play in both of them.
In the end, Franson took less money in exchange for it being a one-year deal. That will set him up for what could potentially be a sizable raise next season as he’ll be eligible for arbitration. It also means that he won’t miss any regular season games, which was obviously a big factor for him.
“With the new setup in the standings, you never know which two points are going to be the most important,” Franson told the Toronto Sun, referring to his return.
Franson is projected to play alongside Mark Fraser. His presence will probably mean that 19-year-old Morgan Rielly will not make the team. The Maple Leafs tight cap situation might also encourage them to trade John-Michael Liles, who consumes roughly $3.88 million in cap space anuually.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 145
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 117
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (146)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (117)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)