Sep 26, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
Defenseman Cody Franson might not have gotten everything he wanted, but after signing a one-year, $2 million contract, the former restricted free agent was finally able to practice with his teammates. With two preseason games left on the Maple Leafs schedule, he should be penciled in to play in both of them.
In the end, Franson took less money in exchange for it being a one-year deal. That will set him up for what could potentially be a sizable raise next season as he’ll be eligible for arbitration. It also means that he won’t miss any regular season games, which was obviously a big factor for him.
“With the new setup in the standings, you never know which two points are going to be the most important,” Franson told the Toronto Sun, referring to his return.
Franson is projected to play alongside Mark Fraser. His presence will probably mean that 19-year-old Morgan Rielly will not make the team. The Maple Leafs tight cap situation might also encourage them to trade John-Michael Liles, who consumes roughly $3.88 million in cap space anuually.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)