Sep 26, 2013, 1:11 PM EST
In the contract battle between Rangers GM Glen Sather and restricted free agent Derek Stepan, it’s Sather who comes away looking like the winner.
After some acrimonious talks, the two sides have agreed on a two-year deal. Both ESPN.com’s Pierre Lebrun and Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos say the deal comes in at just above $3 million per season. LeBrun says the deal comes in at $6.15 million.
It was reported over the weekend that Stepan was seeking a two-year deal worth $7 million. Instead, he’ll come a lot closer to what the Rangers were looking to sign him to. Stepan was originally hoping to sign a long-term deal, but the Rangers’ preference was for a bridge deal. It’s pretty clear Stepan didn’t have much leverage as a RFA in this situation.
Just earlier today it was reported the two sides were close to an agreement. Apparently they were a lot closer than believed. Now Stepan can get into camp and prepare for the season as the Rangers’ likely No. 1 center.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)