Sep 26, 2013, 3:24 PM EST
Goaltender Jake Allen forced himself into the equation with a solid showing in the 2013 campaign, but at the end of the day, the St. Louis Blues will not enter the season with three netminders.
The Blues listed the 23-year-old goaltender as one of the seven players cut from their training camp roster on Thursday. Allen will report to the AHL Chicago Wolves and presumably stay there unless either goaltender Jaroslav Halak or Brian Elliott suffer an injury or struggle dramatically.
Although Allen agreed to a two-year, $1.6 million contract over the summer, this news can’t come as much of a surprise to him.
“Obviously we all know the situation,” Allen said last week. “I’m not a dumb guy.”
Still, one more campaign worth of seasoning in the minors might be all he needs to go through before his NHL career takes off. His deal is one-way for the 2014-15 campaign and the Blues other two goaltenders are set to become unrestricted free agents this summer.
It’s likely that the Blues will retain either Halak or Elliott’s services beyond this season and pair that netminder with Allen at that point.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 43
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)