Sep 26, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
Goaltender Jake Allen forced himself into the equation with a solid showing in the 2013 campaign, but at the end of the day, the St. Louis Blues will not enter the season with three netminders.
The Blues listed the 23-year-old goaltender as one of the seven players cut from their training camp roster on Thursday. Allen will report to the AHL Chicago Wolves and presumably stay there unless either goaltender Jaroslav Halak or Brian Elliott suffer an injury or struggle dramatically.
Although Allen agreed to a two-year, $1.6 million contract over the summer, this news can’t come as much of a surprise to him.
“Obviously we all know the situation,” Allen said last week. “I’m not a dumb guy.”
Still, one more campaign worth of seasoning in the minors might be all he needs to go through before his NHL career takes off. His deal is one-way for the 2014-15 campaign and the Blues other two goaltenders are set to become unrestricted free agents this summer.
It’s likely that the Blues will retain either Halak or Elliott’s services beyond this season and pair that netminder with Allen at that point.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)