Sep 26, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
Goaltender Jake Allen forced himself into the equation with a solid showing in the 2013 campaign, but at the end of the day, the St. Louis Blues will not enter the season with three netminders.
The Blues listed the 23-year-old goaltender as one of the seven players cut from their training camp roster on Thursday. Allen will report to the AHL Chicago Wolves and presumably stay there unless either goaltender Jaroslav Halak or Brian Elliott suffer an injury or struggle dramatically.
Although Allen agreed to a two-year, $1.6 million contract over the summer, this news can’t come as much of a surprise to him.
“Obviously we all know the situation,” Allen said last week. “I’m not a dumb guy.”
Still, one more campaign worth of seasoning in the minors might be all he needs to go through before his NHL career takes off. His deal is one-way for the 2014-15 campaign and the Blues other two goaltenders are set to become unrestricted free agents this summer.
It’s likely that the Blues will retain either Halak or Elliott’s services beyond this season and pair that netminder with Allen at that point.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)