Sep 26, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
Goaltender Jake Allen forced himself into the equation with a solid showing in the 2013 campaign, but at the end of the day, the St. Louis Blues will not enter the season with three netminders.
The Blues listed the 23-year-old goaltender as one of the seven players cut from their training camp roster on Thursday. Allen will report to the AHL Chicago Wolves and presumably stay there unless either goaltender Jaroslav Halak or Brian Elliott suffer an injury or struggle dramatically.
Although Allen agreed to a two-year, $1.6 million contract over the summer, this news can’t come as much of a surprise to him.
“Obviously we all know the situation,” Allen said last week. “I’m not a dumb guy.”
Still, one more campaign worth of seasoning in the minors might be all he needs to go through before his NHL career takes off. His deal is one-way for the 2014-15 campaign and the Blues other two goaltenders are set to become unrestricted free agents this summer.
It’s likely that the Blues will retain either Halak or Elliott’s services beyond this season and pair that netminder with Allen at that point.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)