Sep 26, 2013, 3:24 PM EST
Goaltender Jake Allen forced himself into the equation with a solid showing in the 2013 campaign, but at the end of the day, the St. Louis Blues will not enter the season with three netminders.
The Blues listed the 23-year-old goaltender as one of the seven players cut from their training camp roster on Thursday. Allen will report to the AHL Chicago Wolves and presumably stay there unless either goaltender Jaroslav Halak or Brian Elliott suffer an injury or struggle dramatically.
Although Allen agreed to a two-year, $1.6 million contract over the summer, this news can’t come as much of a surprise to him.
“Obviously we all know the situation,” Allen said last week. “I’m not a dumb guy.”
Still, one more campaign worth of seasoning in the minors might be all he needs to go through before his NHL career takes off. His deal is one-way for the 2014-15 campaign and the Blues other two goaltenders are set to become unrestricted free agents this summer.
It’s likely that the Blues will retain either Halak or Elliott’s services beyond this season and pair that netminder with Allen at that point.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)