Sep 26, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks quest to defend the Stanley Cup is about to get underway, but no matter what happens, they’ve left their mark on Lord Stanley’s Mug.
As you can see to your right courtesy of the team’s Twitter feed, the 2012-13 Blackhawks’ names have been engraved. For some of them, like Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, it marks their second win, but for others, this is an entirely new experience.
Among them are 25-year-old Ben Smith, who only participated in two NHL contests in 2013, but one of them was in the Stanley Cup Final.
“It’s kind of crazy,” Smith told the Chicago Tribune. “I can’t believe all the events that went down. To have my name on it, I honestly don’t believe it.”
Jamal Mayers, 38, made the cut too. He didn’t play in a single postseason contest, but his leadership from the sidelines didn’t go unnoticed. It was his first Stanley Cup championship and he was the third member of the Blackhawks to raise the Cup in celebration on June 24.
“It’s just a huge honor and special moment for me and my family,” Mayers said, according to CSN Chicago. “To be able to show my kids when they’re older is so special.”
The Blackhawks will start their 2013-14 schedule against the Washington Capitals on Tuesday.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)