Sep 26, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks quest to defend the Stanley Cup is about to get underway, but no matter what happens, they’ve left their mark on Lord Stanley’s Mug.
As you can see to your right courtesy of the team’s Twitter feed, the 2012-13 Blackhawks’ names have been engraved. For some of them, like Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, it marks their second win, but for others, this is an entirely new experience.
Among them are 25-year-old Ben Smith, who only participated in two NHL contests in 2013, but one of them was in the Stanley Cup Final.
“It’s kind of crazy,” Smith told the Chicago Tribune. “I can’t believe all the events that went down. To have my name on it, I honestly don’t believe it.”
Jamal Mayers, 38, made the cut too. He didn’t play in a single postseason contest, but his leadership from the sidelines didn’t go unnoticed. It was his first Stanley Cup championship and he was the third member of the Blackhawks to raise the Cup in celebration on June 24.
“It’s just a huge honor and special moment for me and my family,” Mayers said, according to CSN Chicago. “To be able to show my kids when they’re older is so special.”
The Blackhawks will start their 2013-14 schedule against the Washington Capitals on Tuesday.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 18
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 43
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)