Sep 26, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks quest to defend the Stanley Cup is about to get underway, but no matter what happens, they’ve left their mark on Lord Stanley’s Mug.
As you can see to your right courtesy of the team’s Twitter feed, the 2012-13 Blackhawks’ names have been engraved. For some of them, like Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, it marks their second win, but for others, this is an entirely new experience.
Among them are 25-year-old Ben Smith, who only participated in two NHL contests in 2013, but one of them was in the Stanley Cup Final.
“It’s kind of crazy,” Smith told the Chicago Tribune. “I can’t believe all the events that went down. To have my name on it, I honestly don’t believe it.”
Jamal Mayers, 38, made the cut too. He didn’t play in a single postseason contest, but his leadership from the sidelines didn’t go unnoticed. It was his first Stanley Cup championship and he was the third member of the Blackhawks to raise the Cup in celebration on June 24.
“It’s just a huge honor and special moment for me and my family,” Mayers said, according to CSN Chicago. “To be able to show my kids when they’re older is so special.”
The Blackhawks will start their 2013-14 schedule against the Washington Capitals on Tuesday.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)