Sep 26, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks quest to defend the Stanley Cup is about to get underway, but no matter what happens, they’ve left their mark on Lord Stanley’s Mug.
As you can see to your right courtesy of the team’s Twitter feed, the 2012-13 Blackhawks’ names have been engraved. For some of them, like Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, it marks their second win, but for others, this is an entirely new experience.
Among them are 25-year-old Ben Smith, who only participated in two NHL contests in 2013, but one of them was in the Stanley Cup Final.
“It’s kind of crazy,” Smith told the Chicago Tribune. “I can’t believe all the events that went down. To have my name on it, I honestly don’t believe it.”
Jamal Mayers, 38, made the cut too. He didn’t play in a single postseason contest, but his leadership from the sidelines didn’t go unnoticed. It was his first Stanley Cup championship and he was the third member of the Blackhawks to raise the Cup in celebration on June 24.
“It’s just a huge honor and special moment for me and my family,” Mayers said, according to CSN Chicago. “To be able to show my kids when they’re older is so special.”
The Blackhawks will start their 2013-14 schedule against the Washington Capitals on Tuesday.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)