Sep 26, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks quest to defend the Stanley Cup is about to get underway, but no matter what happens, they’ve left their mark on Lord Stanley’s Mug.
As you can see to your right courtesy of the team’s Twitter feed, the 2012-13 Blackhawks’ names have been engraved. For some of them, like Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, it marks their second win, but for others, this is an entirely new experience.
Among them are 25-year-old Ben Smith, who only participated in two NHL contests in 2013, but one of them was in the Stanley Cup Final.
“It’s kind of crazy,” Smith told the Chicago Tribune. “I can’t believe all the events that went down. To have my name on it, I honestly don’t believe it.”
Jamal Mayers, 38, made the cut too. He didn’t play in a single postseason contest, but his leadership from the sidelines didn’t go unnoticed. It was his first Stanley Cup championship and he was the third member of the Blackhawks to raise the Cup in celebration on June 24.
“It’s just a huge honor and special moment for me and my family,” Mayers said, according to CSN Chicago. “To be able to show my kids when they’re older is so special.”
The Blackhawks will start their 2013-14 schedule against the Washington Capitals on Tuesday.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)